GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » Linux OS » Xeon's, Opteron's, 32 vs 64 bit -- Next steps for the GSI batch farm
Re: Xeon's, Opteron's, 32 vs 64 bit -- Next steps for the GSI batch farm [message #1554 is a reply to message #1553] Wed, 30 March 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Christopher Huhn is currently offline  Christopher Huhn
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Anar Manafov wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 13:18

Quote:

The unofficial sarge based on the debian-amd64 port will be ready shortly after the official sarge release, and will have security updates provided by the amd64 porting team.

Is this is a TRUE?
Are we going to install something which is a beta? Doesn't look like GSI policy.

To be honest, Debian "testing" is incredibly stable (as it contains almost only software considered stable "upstream"). The AMD64 port of Sarge will be 99,9% as stable as the i386 Sarge release IMHO.

My long term plans would be to permanently have testing and unstable test clusters running after the upgrade to Sarge "to be on the edge of technology" (even Debian "unstable" is quite conservative IMHO)

Quote:

If we use 32b chroot, don't it slower down a bit the 32b processes?

I don't expect a serious performance impact but we'll have to test.

Quote:

Anyway, as I understand correctly, IT division needs to maintain at least two environments, and several kernels. Since GSI can't get 64b machines for change of Entire Park, right?

Absolutely. No hurry, no worries.

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Welcome to the Linux forum