GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » Linux OS » Xeon's, Opteron's, 32 vs 64 bit -- Next steps for the GSI batch farm
Re: Xeon's, Opteron's, 32 vs 64 bit -- Next steps for the GSI batch farm [message #1550 is a reply to message #1548] Wed, 30 March 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Christopher Huhn is currently offline  Christopher Huhn
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Anar Manafov wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 22:56

The main questions would be
When experiments and software will be ready to use 64b? (With everything comes after it)
When developers will learn to program for 64b? (Because it is far from just switch the compiler option)

The AMD64 Linux kernel can execute i386 binaries, so it's no problem to run your old binaries under a 64bit OS. The only problem is to keep the shared libs for 32bit and 64bit in distinct places.

The current proposed solution for Debian is to install a 32b chroot and run your 32bit only apps in there (like openoffice ...), see https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.ht ml. The desired long term solution is multiarch (see http://www.linuxbase.org/~taggart/multiarch.html).

Anar Manafov wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 22:56

Christopher Huhn wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 17:26

Anyone interested in testing may contact me or Walter Schön to get access to the boxes.

Thx for the offer! This is very convenient! I' would love to test my stuff.

You already have access to one of the machines (lxts09) for a while?!

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Welcome to the Linux forum
Next Topic: Intel® C++ Compiler for Linux