GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » C++ » The Boost Libraries
icon14.gif  The Boost Libraries [message #1508] Wed, 23 March 2005 21:18 Go to previous message
Anar Manafov is currently offline  Anar Manafov
continuous participant

Dear Developers and Guru's, have you (anyone of you) ever seriously used Boost C++ libraries? Rolling Eyes
What do you think about it?

I played a bit with it and I examined the bunch of source codes, I think the libraries are very good example of ART of Programming itself!!!! Shocked
The BOOST is the best extension of STL I've ever seen. Good documentation and amazing source codes!
The BOOST covers everything, everything which could be needed… containers, algorithms, iterators, functions and etc: http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm

The Boost Libraries are distributed through the SourceForge file distribution system.

Quote:

The Boost web site provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries. The emphasis is on libraries which work well with the C++ Standard Library. The libraries are intended to be widely useful, and are in regular use by thousands of programmers across a broad spectrum of applications.

A further goal is to establish "existing practice" and provide reference implementations so that Boost libraries are suitable for eventual standardization. Ten Boost libraries will be included in the C++ Standards Committee's upcoming C++ Standard Library Technical Report as a step toward becoming part of a future C++ Standard.

Although Boost was begun by members of the C++ Standards Committee Library Working Group, participation has expanded to include thousands of programmers from the C++ community at large.

Quote:

How is the Boost license different from the GNU General Public License (GPL)?

The Boost license permits the creation of derivative works for commercial or non-commercial use with no legal requirement to release your source code. Other differences include Boost not requiring reproduction of copyright messages for object code redistribution, and the fact that the Boost license is not "viral": if you distribute your own code along with some Boost code, the Boost license applies only to the Boost code (and modified versions thereof); you are free to license your own code under any terms you like. The GPL is also much longer, and thus may be harder to understand.

Do you want to discuss the subject?

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 21:51]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message