GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » NUSTAR » NUSTAR PRESPEC » FRS Calibration Issue
FRS Calibration Issue [message #17090] Tue, 22 July 2014 19:14 Go to previous message
SMilne is currently offline  SMilne
continuous participant
Hi all,

So, I have been experiencing some weird issues with the final FRS Calibration step for a while now, which has been giving me a skewed 'Z vs A/Q plot' (see attached), but first, I thought I should explain all the steps I have taken prior to this, just in case I've made any mistakes along the way.

The order in which I have performed the FRS calibrations:
1) TPC - Position corrections, check sumgates, etc.
2) TOF - TOF Calibration, beta calibration, etc. using LISE++ Files
3) MUSIC - Aligning raw energy losses, etc.

TPC Calibrations
- Performed position calibrations for TPC21, TPC22, TPC41 and TPC42 using the fiber mask run files.
- Offsets and gains extracted from linear fits to plots of 'correct fiber positions vs raw positions', for the x and y positions.
- Replayed data, all worked fine and centroids are all within ~0.05mm of the correct position. (i.e. see attached example of 'y vs x')
- Checked/adjusted sumgates for experimental data, all fine.

TOF Calibrations
- Produced 4 LISE++ files, including all degrader thickness offsets etc. for 4 different settings in this experiment: 43Ti (isomer calibration setting), 46Ti, 46V, 46Cr
- Extracted LISE++ TOF and Beta values from the 'goodies option' on the tool bar, selecting TOF between S2 and S4 scintillator (which also gave the distance).
- (Beta was found from distance/TOF [this may very well be incorrect, but I can't see how else it can be extracted from LISE++, but then again, I am no expert])
- I then extracted the scintillator TOF_LL and TOF_RR for all these nuclei, from the raw spectra, then plotted 'LISE++ TOF vs raw TOF_LL(or raw TOF_RR)', and from the linear fits, obtained offset and gain coeficients which I put into the 'TofSystem.cal' file.
- Replayed the data for the 4 settings, measured the TOF in the TOF spectrum for all 4 nuclei, which all matched the LISE++ values within 0.4ns.
- I then plotted '(LISE++ Beta x Measured TOF) vs LISE++ Beta', and from the linear fit, the offset(-distance) and gain(time offset) were found and added to the 'TofSystem.par' file.
- Replayed the data, then measured beta for all settings, and all were within 0.16% of the LISE++ beta value.

MUSIC Calibrations [where the issues occur]
- Aligned all the raw energy spectra to an arbitrary value of 900 for the 46Ti setting, changing the gains in 'Music1.cal' and 'Music2.cal'.
- Replayed the data and measured the centroid of the combined raw energy losses for MUSIC1 and MUSIC2 for all 4 settings.
- Plotted 'aligned MUSIC1(or MUSIC2) energy loss vs LISE++ Beta' (see attached) and extraced a, b and c from quadratic fit (a + b*\beta + c*(\beta)^2).
- All seemed fine and added these into the 'FrsId.cal' file then replayed the 46Ti data.
- The end result is attached as well as the PID before this calibration (leaving an old calibration already in place). [where the old PID plot is using an incorrect 'Z_in 35', to get the '46Ti blob' at Z~22 and the new one is using the correct 'Z_in 22' in the FrsId.par file].

Can anyone see where I've went wrong or perhaps where I am mistaken in my current calibration procedure. If you require any more spectra etc. related to the problem, let me know.

Many thanks,
Scott

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message