GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Alice » Alice TRD chamber construction » HV cable problem
Re: HV cable problem [message #1304 is a reply to message #1075] Fri, 14 January 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Clemens Adler is currently offline  Clemens Adler
continuous participant
Hello Chamber builders,
As reported at the last status meeting I got some 300m of HV cable from CERN in December, which behaved nicely: only at 6kV the cable started to draw some 10 nA. This cable was produced in week 42 of 2002, so it was rather old. (the cable we used so far was produced in 2003).
Now I got 700m more, unfortunately not the same production date as the good one from December but produced in 2004. I tested it and it seems to be OK up to 3kV at least, above it starts to draw some currents.
Again I would like to emphasize that it seems that those currents are not spraks trough the isolator but rather surface currents over the isolator at the ends of the cables. Therfore great care should be taken that the surface of the isolator is keep clean, possibly untouched during prepareing the cables. The manufacturer recommended clean the isolation with Alcohol, or benzin, but this never helped in our case.

cheers,
Clemens

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Radiator Sparking?
Next Topic: Data to be stored for DCDB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:48:19 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00613 seconds