GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » cpu times
Re: cpu times [message #13555 is a reply to message #13554] Fri, 01 June 2012 11:15 Go to previous message
Mohammad Al-Turany is currently offline  Mohammad Al-Turany
first-grade participant
Hi,

First of all I am not sure if we really need this discussion here, but any way I run the profiler on the svn rev 15651 (yesterday). The standard sim, digi and then I profile the reco with valgrind and callgrind, all with 10 events. The result is shown below:

index.php?t=getfile&id=7007&private=0

I normalize the time to the exec time, if you look at the picture above you will see that we spend:

Kalman filter: 57 %
STT track finding 13 %
STT+MVD tracking 15 %
MVD Riemann 7 %
STTMVDGEM 7 %

now if you look at the "calls" you will notice that the STT and Kalman (first three in the list above) are taking about 85 % of the time, however going down in the picture you will see that 70 % of the 85% are spend in Geane and glpk code, to make it clear:

we spend 70 % of processing time in external packages

The rest of the code which is 30 % of time has definitely not that much time spent in STL but in other algorithms and IO etc. So assuming that C arrays are much faster (Which I do not agree on!) it make no sense to contaminate the code with non-readable stuff because of speed. One has also to think about debugging and tracing the code e.g: out of bound problems which we already have with the c arrays in the tracking code.

best regards,

Mohammad

• Attachment: task.jpg
    (Size: 255.22KB, Downloaded 356 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: photos and custom event generator
Next Topic: switching off the information output
Goto Forum: