GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » Barrel DIRC in Geant 4 - Cherenkov photon propagation - [FIXED]
Barrel DIRC in Geant 4 - Cherenkov photon propagation - [FIXED] [message #10988] Tue, 14 September 2010 18:38 Go to previous message
Jochen Schwiening is currently offline  Jochen Schwiening
continuous participant
Hi folks,
in an effort to study our frustrating problems with the photon gun usage in G3 (see Maria's post titled "Cherenkov photons generation") I tried to run our usual macro /macro/drc/sim_dirc.C using Geant 4. I enabled the optical process ("+optical" in the g4 config file) and ran a couple of events, looked at them with the event display.
I see that Cherenkov photons are produced but I also see that they are all lost/killed/absorbed as soon as they hit the first bar surface. I am attaching a screen snapshot showing a side view, a muon track producing many photons that all die as soon as the first surface is hit. It looks as if G4 doesn't know what to do with the photons, how to propagate them inside the material.
I should mention that I see an enormous number of warning messages
"Warning: G4MaterialPropertyVector::GetProperty==> attempt to Retrieve Property above range"
which may very well indicate a fatal problem - sadly, I don't know where to look to fix the issue.
It's the first time I tried G4 in PandaROOT and so far I only heard that the barrel DIRC "doesn't work" in G4. It'd be nice to change that.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Jochen

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2010 15:09]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message icon10.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PndMicroWriter???
Next Topic: Problems with PandaRootCharmoniumTutorial