GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » Out of memory problem in EmcPoint - FairLink ?
icon8.gif  Out of memory problem in EmcPoint - FairLink ? [message #10897] Wed, 04 August 2010 00:15 Go to previous message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Dear all,
trying to run many DPM events we have realized that sometimes the simulation (run_sim_tpccombi_dpm.C) crashes, sometime with a "bad alloc" problem, sometime with a #include error, and without any helpful messages.

In order to check what is really going wrong, I have run the vsame macro under valgrind and finally, after waiting 15 hours, I have found the guilty guy, or at least one of them.

First of all, these are the dpm settings:

<I> PndDpmDirect initialization
<I> Momentum  = 15
<I> Seed      = 4357
<I> Mode      = 1
<I> Theta min = 0.001

At the beginning I have many valgrind messages, unitialized values in writing the parameter containers, maybe some expert (Mohammad) should take a look there:

Toggle Spoiler

However, this is not the problem. The problem appears at the 58th event:

Toggle Spoiler

The problem appears in PndEmcPoint.cxx at line +57:

SetLink(FairLink("MCTrack", trackID));

It is not so clear to me if this is a problem coming from the stuff inside fairlink, maybe set or allocator. Or maybe there is some "wrong" information from EmcPoint which is making FairLink crazy. The valgrind message
new/new[] failed and should throw an exception
appears when a "new" is trying to allocate memory but memory is full... there is something eating up the memory.
If the same macro is run without valgring, it proceeds without crashing at the event, but the memory is slowly eaten and sooner or later the macro crashes definitely.

I would leave the work to experts, because I was not able to find what is the memory problem we have.

Read Message icon8.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif