GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » Problem with hiding (shadowing) variables
Re: Hiding variables... take them seriously!!! [message #9461 is a reply to message #9456] Tue, 29 September 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mohammad Al-Turany is currently offline  Mohammad Al-Turany
first-grade participant
Hi,

As I use this flag there was a reason for it and not because I have nothing to do or I searched in google what people think about it! and the guy you quote here also do not like the warning about comparing signed with unsigned integers, for him this is also silly! (fortunately this guy wrote only 2% of the linux kernel)

If I get the message properly, people have better things to do than removing such stupid warnings or following stupid coding conventions, and if somebody like Linus said it is not important then it is not important! we do not need to understand anything or even look for it, Linus said it is not important!

Anyway, some reasons which linus did not talk about are:

1. Some people redefine TrackId, EventId, etc locally in some functions so what does the experts think about this, is it harmless!

2. Re-define of base class variables, is it also harmless! and it get more harmless when the people redefine some objects (TVector3) in the stepping so it is created and deleted also for each step!

3. Class variables, global variables and local ones with the same name, the compiler know how to distinguish between them, but how readable is this code for other people!

So because of all this we will not remove this warning unless every body in panda thinks the same like you and Linus, then we will switch it off only for PANDA! other people agreed and want to have it and they think that they are clever enough to decide for themselves if these warning has a meaning or not!

Mohammad

Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: GENFIT restructuring in development branch is done - merge needed
Next Topic: Association Tools committed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 18:25:06 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00920 seconds