GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Event Generators » simpleEvtGen default EvtRandomEngine
Re: simpleEvtGen default EvtRandomEngine [message #9173 is a reply to message #9172] Mon, 10 August 2009 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marius Mertens is currently offline  Marius Mertens
continuous participant
Hi Bertram,

actually even simpler once again, sorry to keep bothering Wink
How to plug different random engines into the EvtRandomEngine interface is perfectly clear.
I don't know much (despite the documentation you referred to) about the Ranecu framework with its management abilities, though.
As Stefano pointed out earlier that it would be advantageous to benefit from e.g., BaBar experience with randomness generation it seems worth a look.

So I think the question basically breaks down to this:
Would you consider it useful to plug that framework into EvtRandomEngine or would you consider it kind of an overkill in that context and rather implement a small, simple engine?

I took a look at JamesRandom which (purely from a point of provided function count) is also fairly simple. My guess from the Ranecu documentation is that in comparison it needs much more setup/options (as in complexity being the price one has to pay for more power)?
As I said, to me it'd be reasonable and perfectly sufficient to use something very simple there (like a Boost PRNG, which is what I'm actually using right now), but maybe the additional features of Ranecu might be useful in the future so the higher complexity in implementing this could pay off later?

As a general note I think it'd be useful to have a reasonable default PRNG implementation which is suitable for production use "as is", otherwise at a later stage other people might run into the same issue again and probably start similar considerations on what might be the "best" choice for that purpose.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message