GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Meetings » Pandaroot meeting, Tuesday 13th of January, 10:00, EVO
Re: minutes [message #7689 is a reply to message #7688] Fri, 16 January 2009 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bertram Kopf is currently offline  Bertram Kopf
continuous participant
Dear all,
here are just some remarks to the minutes (topic: Physics Performance Studies with PandaRoot):

- schema migration: It is correct that root provides a tool for schema migration by just increasing the "ClassDef" number. This only works as long as you remove members which are not used anymore in the newer releases. But in case where you add members which afterwards will be used, the application will crash even by increasing the ClassDef number. But as I already mentioned during the meeting schema migration is defenitely not an urgent task. It's just on the wish list and one should - at least - keep it in mind for the future.

-common interface to event generators: I took a look to the documentation of UniGen (http://wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Personalpages/UnitedGenerators). As far as I can see there it's just a package which allows "to convert output of various event generators to a generic root format". If this is correct, this has nothing to do with a common interface. The idea is to setup, configure and run the various generators in the "same" way!

- role of the user: It is clear that a user could also participate in the core development. I just wanted to point out that the software should be written in a way that the user/analyst can concentrate his/her activities on the analysis. The goal should be to write a "user friendly software". This is also a key point in the PAM. And in this sense one should defenitely distinguish between developers and users.

- another point was discussion about the limitation of the number of events per application and in connection to this about the random control. At http://hepunx.rl.ac.uk/BFROOT/dist/releases/newest/RandControl/doc/Rando ms.ps
you can find a nice document about this issue.

Best regards,
Bertram.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PandaRoot meeting, Tuesday 25th of November, 10:00, EVO
Next Topic: Pandaroot meeting, Tuesday 27th of January, 10:00, EVO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:33:42 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01058 seconds