GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PANDA - Computing » Grid and Infrastructure » GRID, PandaROOT, and static binaries
GRID, PandaROOT, and static binaries [message #5876] Wed, 13 February 2008 20:13 Go to previous message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Message from Dan

-------------------------

Thanks for all the work done on this. I am really glad to see that serious work is now done on the grid and me and the site admins will do our best to offer you a stable system.

I agree that there are many options to package management on our grid
and only trying we will find the best solution.

My main concerns on this are the following:
- static binaries once we can agree on some batch-optimized code would be the best choice by far; even if we have to break our simulation in an
execution chain
- would prefer to have one maximum two packages and not a too lengthy
chain of dependencies
- would be prudent to not rely on downloads at installation (wget and such)
- it is crucial that installation/compilation errors are properly
handled and passed upwards so that the packman (package manager service on grid) knows what's going on and can tell the status of the installation

Please remember that we will not install packages on the grid weekly, but only once they are tested, benchmarked and deemed fit for production
(be it a test production).
That means that these packages will not have to download the 'latest'
sources and that these packages will be optimized for batch execution.
Please feel free to install and test pandaroot on grid, but the strategy
for package management should not be based on a weekly test scenario.

Please tell me what you think ?

Cheers,
Dan

P.S. Should we not post these discussions on one of our forums ?

Florian Uhlig wrote:
Dear all
Some comments on Johans comments.
1) keep the external packages seperate, with name cbmsoft::r<date of release>. I think only twice per year, a new update of this will appear.
PandaROOT will be updated more frequently (that would be a good reason not to combine the two for the grid). We could consider to
have a "./configure grid" option or so for all the external packages if we need to set specific GRID related stuff. The question remains is
whether we would like to include cernlib in the external packages as well.
We had a discussion about this a couple of meetings ago, and at that time it was decided not to do this in order to minimize the size of the
external package. With the option "grid" in the configure script, we could automatically download the cernlib stuff via the web (wget), similar
to what is done with geant4 datafiles. Alternatively, we might consider to provide binaries for GRID applications for available platforms: Linux-i686,
Linux-x86_64, ... This would make the installation procedure via packman much easier.
I agree to have the external packages as a seperate package and i dont't like the idea to split this even more. The only difference
between the grid and the normal version of the external packages ist, that the grid version has everything on board. This was done
to have a version which does not use wget because it was not clear if all the machines can access the internet. If this is no point
anymore i think we can live with only one version of the external packages.
The idea with the binaries was also discussed during the Vienna workshop but that would mean that you need a static binary, due
to all the different versions of the OS on the different production sites.
To produce such a binary is not straightforward. I worked on that topic for a while but the forgot about it. If this is again an issue i will
continue on that topic.
2) For Pandaroot, I propose to use the package name "pandaroot::r<stable version number>" (for production releases) and "pandaroot::revXXXX"
for test revisions. I would think that the easiest is that the release numbers match the the subversion numbering, in stead of have pandaroot::0.1 etc.
I fully agree.
The DPMgen and EvtGen stuff, we could compile and build as well within this package, and place the stuff in a "/bin" directory.
At the moment, I have created virtual packages for this, which is not really needed and only brings too many unnecessary dependencies. Also here,
lets do consider to provide binaries in stead of the sources with compilation scripts.
Here again you will need a static binary.
Ciao
Florian

--
Dr. Dan PROTOPOPESCU | Tel: +44 141 330-5531
Department of Physics & Astronomy, | FAX: +44 141 330-5889
University of Glasgow, | Mob: +44 794 046-3355
Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK | WWW: Google me!

Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2008 21:31]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: new external packages, pandaroot rev2162, dpmgen, and evtgen on the GRID
Next Topic: DPG Talk
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:24:54 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01119 seconds