GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » FP7 Proposal
icon4.gif  FP7 Proposal [message #4917] Tue, 14 August 2007 14:44
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Dear all,

During our last tracking workshop in Ferrara we discussed a JRA with a focus on particle tracking-related aspects. Soeren has started a list of topics which we can address in such an application on the computing wiki site with a request for additional input. The deadline for the JRA is coming up soon (15th September), so I started collecting the available information and text in the appropriate format. The latest version of the proposal can be found at

http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/PandaRootFP7

It is by far not finished yet, partly since it misses some relevant input from your side.

The present title of the proposal is "Particle Recognition Tools for Hadron Studies" - referring pre-dominantly to the development of an extensive software toolbox for particle tracking with Panda. So far, the proposal focusses on the following sub-projects:

1) Development and evaluation of different track finder and fitter algorithms;
2) Kalman filters;
3) Track extrapolation in inhomogeneous fields;
4) Track finding in realtime;
5) Tools for Particle Identification

For more information, I refer to the document on the Wiki site. We propose to request 4 PhDs (2 for sub-projects 1-3, 1 for sub-project 4, and 1 for sub-project 5), 1 postdoc (overall coordination), and 36 kEuros of traveling money for workshops etc. In total this yields to ~500 kEuros.

Here comes my set of question to you!

1) are you - still - interested to participate in this proposal, if yes then...
2) who would be the contact person for your institute?
3) which of the above sub-project would you like to participate in, or do you like to add a related topic or reformulate?

I would appreciate if you could answer the above questions by the end of this week. Before the 28th of August, I would like to collect the following additional information each of the contact persons....

4) indicate the expertise of your institution with some key publications;
5) indicate your overall contribution in man-months to the JRA.

Kind wishes and hope to hear from you soon,

Johan Messchendorp.

Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003

Read Message icon4.gif
Previous Topic: B-Field in Simulation
Next Topic: email to CB on PandaRoot developers