GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » miscellanous
icon4.gif  miscellanous [message #4301] Wed, 23 May 2007 03:34 Go to previous message
George Serbanut is currently offline  George Serbanut
occasional visitor

Hi everyone,

Trying to understand why the PANDA software had a problem in compilation in Glasgow, I found an interesting issue which might be of a help for PANDA software users.

If the dynamic part of your institute/university web site, you might be in a surprise of not having PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables set accordingly. That's because hackers can make use of them to enter your computer. Otherwise, you should have in your PATH:

/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

or something like that, and in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

or something like that.

Before adding them into your shell rc file, ask you system administrator for the permission, or put them into a .sh file which you should load it by hand at the beginning of any session.

On the other hand, on SL3, by default, you won't have libXm.so installed and the configuration file provided with the PANDA software external packages (I mean g4env.sh) has the environment variables set to use this library. To get rid of this problem, there are two options:
1. compile and install LessTif (this software is generating libXm.so);
2. erase all related environment variables such as:

G4UI_BUILD_XM_SESSION
G4UI_USE_XM
G4VIS_BUILD_OPENGLXM_DRIVER
G4VIS_USE_OPENGLXM

before starting the compilation of the external packages. Don't worry, if you don't have any other error, your compilation should work perfectly with Geant4 and Geant3.

And, finally, I have few questions for the developers:
1. Does anyone know if VMC supports ghost worlds (parallel worlds)?
2. Why is the cbmsim.m4 from the repository configured ONLY for GSI and Giessen sites and not for general installation purpose?
3. Has anyone experienced any crash from ROOT when he/she tried to simulate a large number of events? If yes, is that our problem or ROOT developers problem?

I hope you haven't fallen asleep while reading this post. Smile

Cheers,
George

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PandaROOT Wiki update
Next Topic: panda base classes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:55:58 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00942 seconds