GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Tracking » Strategy discussion on Track objects
Re: Strategy discussion on Track objects [message #8367 is a reply to message #8365] Fri, 01 May 2009 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Anonymous Poster From: *pool.einsundeins.de
Hi,

it is very clear also to me that we need clearly defined interfaces and classes. I guess this is why Ralph started this discussion. So, I thought the interface of a useful track object is not yet available. If it were, we wouldnt be discussing it, or maybe there is a misunderstanding after all. So could you try to make clear what your suggestion is please. As I said, I will accommodate what is necessary in genfit. If it is the wish of our community that the genfit track objects can somehow be converted in general PandaROOT classes, we can do that.

The central point of the discussion is to my mind, whether the central track object needs track extrapolation capabilities or not. Could you please give your opinions on that?

I do not understand why you want to move genfit out of PandaROOT. Apparently there is a feeling that we are somehow not respecting some rules (quote from your mail). What exactly is that we are doing wrong? What are your suggestions to improve the situation?

And please excuse me for being mildly frustrated about the code development in the past in PANDA. It just isnt so nice to work many years on some software and then having to redevelop it in another framework. Of course I want to avoid this from happening again. I am glad for you that you are 100% sure about the future of PANDA computing. But please allow me to not share this feeling completely. The past has taught me to be a bit careful about this.

But I want to stress again that if there are wishes by this community that the genfit track object shall be convertible into some common class that we will do that. Just tell us what you need. However, we can not discuss to change the structure of the genfit track object, because the whole design of genfit is based on it.

From reading your email I certainly feel that there is some hostility in the air. It is a pity that this is the case. I think we are in a good situation. We have in PANDAroot a full working charged track reconstruction. This something that we for example never had for all of PANDA in the old framework. This is a great step forward. And just the question of a data interface shouldnt split our community. We all have a common interest. And having track reconstruction is a part of the goal we all want to reach.

Cheers, Christian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message