GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » General discussion » Package management for non-system locations
Re: Package management for non-system locations [message #2243 is a reply to message #2241] Wed, 17 August 2005 13:21 Go to previous message
Christopher Huhn is currently offline  Christopher Huhn
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Håkan Johansson wrote on 17.08.2005 12:31 (by email)

Hello,

I never thought of that, but it could be useful since it somehow would formalise the build process.

Two problems would be that if one want it on an odd kind of machine, one would need to have the package handling environemnt for that. One example is a small axis box we tested (borrowed from hades). Basically a small computer with serial and ethernet
interface, usually with some other custom I/O also. This comes with it's own cross-built environment and is not compatible with any other known distribution.
The other thing is that one gets another step inbetween source and running executables.

The problems above are however more important for hardware related stuff.
For pure software (which also is used by more people), and that usually would run on a standard machine, it makes definately sense to be able to install locally managed packages and by the user.

I'v not tried, but what does dpkg --root=... --admindir=... --instdir=... do for us?

I suppose I should have put this into the forum instead. Feel free.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Number crunching on the graphics card
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:18:53 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00558 seconds