GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » Computing infrastructure at GSI changes
Computing infrastructure at GSI changes [message #19317] Fri, 03 June 2016 12:02
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Dear GSI cluster computing users,

as you may have heard, there is a change in the computing infrastructure at GSI. With the new GreenCube data center ( https://www.gsi.de/en/start/news/detailseite/2016/05/25/successful-start -of-computing-in-the-green-it-cube.htm) a new cluster storage system ("nyx"), along with a new worker nodes cluster ("kronos") was set up to replace the old ones "hera" and "prometheus", which will be switched off end of June.
In order to use the new systems, there are some arrangements which needs to be made by you.

1) Migrate your data
A couple of data mover machines have been set up to allow copy-jobs with high bandwidth from hera to nyx. You can login to the machines lxheranyxdm01, lxheranyxdm02, ..dm03...-...dm08 via the lxpool and will find your old data in /lustre/hera/panda/{username}. Please, copy the data you want to preserve by e.g. cp -r or rsync, ... to /lustre/nyx/panda/{mkdir_username}. The mkdir_username means, that you need to create your username directory.

2) Become user of kronos cluster
On "kronos" cluster a new scheduler, "slurm", is awaiting your jobs, but you need to become a "slurm" user before you can submit any jobs. Please, contact me, if you want/need to continue to make use of the GSI high performance computing facility and i will set up your credentials. Even if you know that you don't continue working with kronos, it would be helpful if you drop me a note. If you or someone you know have/has finished your/their PhD and want to preserve analysis data, but have no access anymore, let me know as well.

3) Howto
Login to the "kronos" cluster via lxpool (like "prometheus", "kronos" is reachable from internal GSI network, only) on: kronos.hpc.gsi.de. You will end up on a lxbk0XXX.gsi.de machine, which is the submit node for your "slurm" scripts. An introduction, howto work with "slurm" can be found in the WiKi: https://wiki.gsi.de/foswiki/bin/view/Linux/SlurmUsage

4) Happy computing
Udo

Read Message
Previous Topic: Broken FairLinks?
Next Topic: Simulation on Kronos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:30:34 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00662 seconds