GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » [FIXED] FairWriteoutBuffer::FillNewData and object ownership (memory leak)
Re: FairWriteoutBuffer::FillNewData and object ownership (memory leak) [message #14401 is a reply to message #14400] Sat, 26 January 2013 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oliver Merle is currently offline  Oliver Merle
occasional visitor
Thank you for this in-depth answer! But I think that the problem is not related to memory-pooling - it happens outside of the pool (TClonesArray):

The 'digits' are usually created on the heap and not in a pool. They are passed as pointers to FairWriteoutBuffer, which stores the pointers in maps. When the data has to be written out, the relating portion of digits is *copied* to a pool via AddNewDataToTClonesArray:

void PndSdsDigiStripWriteoutBuffer::AddNewDataToTClonesArray(FairTimeStamp* data)
{
  FairRootManager* ioman = FairRootManager::Instance();
  TClonesArray* myArray = ioman->GetTClonesArray(fBranchName);
  if (fVerbose > 1) std::cout << "Data Inserted: "  <<  *(PndSdsDigiStrip*)(data) << std::endl;
  new ((*myArray)[myArray->GetEntries()]) PndSdsDigiStrip(*(PndSdsDigiStrip*)(data));
}

At least I read this as the invocation of a copy-constructor. So the original object on the heap - which was initially passed to the buffer - is still alive and will at some point go out of scope -> memory leak.

For the creation of the objects, see for example PndSdsHybridHitProducer.cxx:370:

PndSdsDigiPixel *tempPixel = new PndSdsDigiPixel( fPixelList[iPix].GetMCIndex(), fInBranchId, fPixelList[iPix].GetSensorID() ,fPixelList[iPix].GetFE(),
                                                     fPixelList[iPix].GetCol(), fPixelList[iPix].GetRow(),
                                                     smearedCharge, correctedTimeStamp); //fChargeConverter->GetTimeStamp(point->GetTime(), charge,fEventHeader->GetEventTime()) );

if (fTimeOrderedDigi){
                tempPixel->ResetLinks();
                std::vector<int> indices = fPixelList[iPix].GetMCIndex();
                FairEventHeader* evtHeader = (FairEventHeader*)FairRootManager::Instance()->GetObject("EventHeader.");
                for (int i = 0; i < indices.size(); i++){
                  tempPixel->AddLink(FairLink(evtHeader->GetInputFileId(), evtHeader->GetMCEntryNumber(),  fInBranchId, indices[i]));
                }
                tempPixel->AddLink(FairLink(-1, fEventNr, "EventHeader.", -1));
    }
    fDataBuffer->FillNewData(tempPixel, fChargeConverter->ChargeToDigiValue(fPixelList[iPix].GetCharge())*6 + EventTime, point->GetTime()+EventTime);

I'd say FairWriteoutBuffer should either delete the digits on the heap after copying them to the TClonesArray (transfer of ownership by policy) or use one of the popular shared_ptr implementations.

As I said, the number of allocated FairTimestamp derived instances was increasing steadily during a digitization run while they were correctly freed in the simulation. This can be checked.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [FIXED] magnet geometry simulation problem
Next Topic: [WONTFIX] sep12 external package crash during installation on fedora 18
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:54:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01355 seconds