GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » License ?
Re: License ? [message #13298 is a reply to message #13296] Wed, 04 April 2012 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oliver Merle is currently offline  Oliver Merle
occasional visitor
Thanks for the answers,

my problem in the first place was that there is no clear license statement in the codebase what is rather unusual for software which is already distributed. I think developers have to know this for various reasons.

A practical example: We all know that non-GPL software is not allowed to link against GPL software. Just look at PandaRoot, which is surely non-GPL atm, and examine the files "pgenerators/EMFFgenerators/ranlx*". So if PandaRoot can be considered "distributed", this is a GPL violation. (For sure this code can be easily replaced - but its there, thats the point.) One has to be aware of the fact that GPL code may be a no go here.

The Fairbase license is important because the PandaRoot license depends on it.

It is also very important for some people who are interested in contributing. Without a license, only the copyright holders have any rights - no one else. There is no sharing. I'm happy to share, but I don't do other peoples work for free. The license makes the difference.

I don't open the can of worms regarding the 'transfer of copyright' question if people contribute their own source to the project.

I am happy that you will (eventually) choose LGPL.

Regards,
Oliver

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Hits reconstruction
Next Topic: How to abort secondaries
Goto Forum: