GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Alice » Alice TRD chamber construction » Chamber Construction Manual
Re: Chamber Construction Manual [message #1230 is a reply to message #1221] Mon, 06 December 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Clemens Adler is currently offline  Clemens Adler
continuous participant
Hello,
Oleg sent some suggestions for changes, that I would like to share with the rest of you.

1. He discovered a mistake:
Section 1.5.12 Check anode wire tension should come after
section 1.5.13 Cut anode wires.
because one is interessted in the tension the wires have on the chamber not on the winding frame.
I will update the posted version accordingly.

2. An suggestion: Oleg suggests to put some glue to between the glue which holds the anode wire on the wire ledge and the copper strip where the wire is soldered (see attached picture by Oleg).
This should prevent the breaking of the anode wire that we experienced at Heidelberg (see previous messages).
Quote Oleg:
"after soldering of anode wires  we put  glue (red color) to fix  the wire, solder and copper strip together. It is need to remember that we have to safe a clean  place on the copper strip to solder HV cable."

We also had this idea and did it on some chambers, but after discussion with Joerg at GSI, who never had any similar problem we thought that probably sanding the wire ledge edges is good enough and will solve the problem.
Another problem was that we wanted the glue to be cured before we cut the wires, and then we loose 1 day. This is probably not so critical, since at least in Heidelberg and Dubna where not too many people are involved in cahmber building one can find something else to do during this day.

So I would like to hear from GSI (Joerg) and Bukarest (Mihai) what they think. Since we have not put anodes on a chamber since a while due to technical difficulties with machiniery in our lab, I cannot tell at this moment what our experiences with sanding the wire ledges are.
I will, therefore, not add this into the construction manual, until there are some more opinions about this additional step.

thanks to Oleg for his comments, I hope there will will be many more!

cheers,
Clemens

• Attachment: image001.gif
    (Size: 2.97KB, Downloaded 592 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Absolute gain Measurement L1C1#2
Next Topic: Anode Wire Problem Summary and Conclusion