GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » update stable branch...
Re: update stable branch... [message #10032 is a reply to message #10014] Sat, 23 January 2010 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Dear all,

Below I summarise the remaining problems which I noticed by looking at the dashboard and talking to some people. For the next production release, we should try to fix these items and incorporate them in the stable branch. Some of the problems only show up on 32-bit machines or somewhat older compilers. Nevertheless, our ambition is to keep compatibility with as many platforms and compilers as much as possible as part of the quality assurance and service to the collaboration. So, please take a regular look at the dashboard. In this respect, it might be good to have various virtual machines available and accessible for all the developers. Something we could discuss on the next meeting.

• Tutorial macros: there seem to be crashes related to the PndEventReader and the Jul09 and Jan10 fairsoft ROOT releases. Klaus told me he will take a look at it.
  • On 32-bit machines, the fast simulation QA macro crashes with a floating point exception, for example http://fairroot.gsi.de/CDash/testDetails.php?test=35414&build=15381 . I believe the problem is related to the track smearing function, which - sometimes - smears values to very large values causing a floating point error. Klaus, could you take a look at this as well?
  • qa_dch_macro2: on 32-bit machines this macro crashes as well with a floating point exception: http://fairroot.gsi.de/CDash/testDetails.php?test=35403&build=15381 . There are also warnings of the type "caution: wrong drift time". Ola W., Arek or Garzia, would one of you still have some time to take a look at this? That would be really great! [UPDATE: noticed that the start momentum for the fitting is sometimes zero, which causes a floating point error in evaluating Q/P. Added a check whether the start momentum is zero, before proceeding with the fit (line 252 in PndDchPreFitterTR.cxx , rev7537). I am not sure whether these situation should occur at all?!?]
  • qa_lhe_macro : on all machines it gives a segmentation fault and points to a problem in the PndMvdStripClusterTask. My guess is that this is related to the restructuring of the MVD code. Ralf, is there any hope on the short time for this, or shall we use for the stable release the "old" MVD structure?
  • qa_mvd_macro2 and qa_mvd_macroana: similar to the previous crash (I guess?).
  • qa_stt_macro3: on some machines it returns the statement "negative muon ptot resolution wrong" and "negative muon kalman ptot resolution wrong": http://fairroot.gsi.de/CDash/testSummary.php?project=2&name=qa_stt_m acro3&date=2010-01-23 . Lia/Susanna, do you have any idea what goes wrong here? Unfortunately, it doesn't happen on all machines. I attached as pdf the corresponding histograms which came out of the macro and which were used to perform the check.
  • reco_complete_stt/tpc: also related to the MVD (see above)... sorry, Ralf Wink

Best wishes,

Johan.
  • Attachment: his_stt.pdf
    (Size: 20.17KB, Downloaded 200 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 23 January 2010 22:55]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message