GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » General discussion » Number crunching on the graphics card
Number crunching on the graphics card [message #2080] Fri, 22 July 2005 16:00 Go to next message
Christopher Huhn is currently offline  Christopher Huhn
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

What do you think of this: http://www.gpgpu.org/

Should we take this into account when buying new batch farm hosts? Rolling Eyes
Re: Number crunching on the graphics card [message #2082 is a reply to message #2080] Fri, 22 July 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter F.J. Müller is currently offline  Walter F.J. Müller
first-grade participant

True, quite a few people tried to use the crunch power of the processing units embedded in graphics cards. However, I'd put my effort into platforms like the CELL processor.

W.F.J.Müller, GSI, CBM, Tel: 2766
icon14.gif  Re: Number crunching on the graphics card [message #2084 is a reply to message #2080] Fri, 22 July 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anar Manafov is currently offline  Anar Manafov
continuous participant

I like this idea!

Some time ago I read very interesting topic on this, I think that was from AT&T lab. I will try to find pdf.
Also, I know that SGI and NVIDIA doing some research. Rolling Eyes

Christo, thanks for the link. Cool
I am going to learn this site a bit more.

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts
Re: Number crunching on the graphics card [message #2087 is a reply to message #2082] Sat, 23 July 2005 13:34 Go to previous message
Anar Manafov is currently offline  Anar Manafov
continuous participant

Walter F.J. Müller wrote on Fri, 22 July 2005 16:29

True, quite a few people tried to use the crunch power of the processing units embedded in graphics cards. However, I'd put my effort into platforms like the CELL processor.

The topic is leading to a war Twisted Evil
GPU vs CELL
(I am joking Very Happy )

From my, amateur, point of view, the GPU is faster and cheaper solution to get calculation performance. Taking in account war ATI vs. NVIDIA I can try to predict that GPU will grow dramatically those days. This power we certainly should use.
The CELL is definitely good (from papers of IBM) and I REALLY hope that Sony + Co. (IBM and Toshiba, as I remember) will do the job which Intel couldn’t (failed so far). I hope they can do something more than PS3 Smile, because we really need a workstation and not a game consol. Workstation with all the attributes, like a proper language + OS.

BTW, last time I read about CELL, there was written that IBM team got Linux ported to cell processors. They tried to introduce those changes to 2.6.13 kernel, I think.

Again, this is just my point of view. Frankly, I am not really familiar with those two architectures and technologies. Sad

Interesting topic on CELL: http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell0_v2.html

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts
Next Topic: Package management for non-system locations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 00:36:10 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00812 seconds