GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Scientific Computing » C++ » The Boost Libraries
icon14.gif  The Boost Libraries [message #1508] Wed, 23 March 2005 21:18 Go to next message
Anar Manafov is currently offline  Anar Manafov
continuous participant

Dear Developers and Guru's, have you (anyone of you) ever seriously used Boost C++ libraries? Rolling Eyes
What do you think about it?

I played a bit with it and I examined the bunch of source codes, I think the libraries are very good example of ART of Programming itself!!!! Shocked
The BOOST is the best extension of STL I've ever seen. Good documentation and amazing source codes!
The BOOST covers everything, everything which could be needed… containers, algorithms, iterators, functions and etc: http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm

The Boost Libraries are distributed through the SourceForge file distribution system.

Quote:

The Boost web site provides free peer-reviewed portable C++ source libraries. The emphasis is on libraries which work well with the C++ Standard Library. The libraries are intended to be widely useful, and are in regular use by thousands of programmers across a broad spectrum of applications.

A further goal is to establish "existing practice" and provide reference implementations so that Boost libraries are suitable for eventual standardization. Ten Boost libraries will be included in the C++ Standards Committee's upcoming C++ Standard Library Technical Report as a step toward becoming part of a future C++ Standard.

Although Boost was begun by members of the C++ Standards Committee Library Working Group, participation has expanded to include thousands of programmers from the C++ community at large.

Quote:

How is the Boost license different from the GNU General Public License (GPL)?

The Boost license permits the creation of derivative works for commercial or non-commercial use with no legal requirement to release your source code. Other differences include Boost not requiring reproduction of copyright messages for object code redistribution, and the fact that the Boost license is not "viral": if you distribute your own code along with some Boost code, the Boost license applies only to the Boost code (and modified versions thereof); you are free to license your own code under any terms you like. The GPL is also much longer, and thus may be harder to understand.

Do you want to discuss the subject?

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 21:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #1513 is a reply to message #1508] Thu, 24 March 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sylwester Radomski is currently offline  Sylwester Radomski
continuous participant

Hi Anar

In Your message You claim, the BOOST library have everything
that could be needed.

Please check and inform us if the following is implemented:

1) generate random numbers from the Poisson distribution

2) create and draw/operate on histograms
- divide histograms and keep errors propagation correctly
- axex of histogram have to allow special characters
- fit a histogram with for example, Landau distribution
- store histograms on a file
- draw histograms as EPostScript

3) give properties of a given particle type eg: mass, life time,
decays modes

4) store objects on a files. Allow stroring ~3TB of data.

Best Regards
Sylwester Radomski
Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #1514 is a reply to message #1513] Thu, 24 March 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant

Sylwester, I so much like your style Very Happy But never will understand it… Evil or Very Mad

Sylwester Radomski wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 11:05

Hi Anar

In Your message You claim, the BOOST library have everything
that could be needed.

Please check and inform us if the following is implemented:

1) generate random numbers from the Poisson distribution

2) create and draw/operate on histograms
- divide histograms and keep errors propagation correctly
- axex of histogram have to allow special characters
- fit a histogram with for example, Landau distribution
- store histograms on a file
- draw histograms as EPostScript

3) give properties of a given particle type eg: mass, life time,
decays modes

4) store objects on a files. Allow stroring ~3TB of data.

Best Regards
Sylwester Radomski

Why don't you check it by your self and find what would be convenient/interesting for you and for you dev. team to use from the BOOST or to gain from it?
I hope you have enough experience to read documentations and check a source code...
If you don't find anything interesting, so... just ignore it.

I am talking about things, which are going to be standard and which are really good coded. Base stuff!

You are thinking as an USER, but my post was addressed to developers! To the people who is doing development of an experiment software or frameworks. To the people, who are writing extensions to the ROOT! To the people who are thinking a little bit wider and NOT just, “HOW I can store 3 TB file?:(“, but to the people who think how to WRITE the wrappers which CAN make a store of 3 TB file efficient and stable… To the DEVELOPERS!!!! And to the people who are simply like to write the code!

This is what I tried to discuss: Advantages and disadvantages, which BOOST can give to developers! Problems and leaks of BOOST. New stuff which is implemented...
Discuss how to make you software or your generic ROOT classes or base classes (as you like) look and work better may be with or without help of BOOST.

I am very sorry, If you don’t understand it. Embarassed

P.S. One suggestion, think a little bit wider... you are too closed Rolling Eyes I am afraid you can remain to be a programmer and not a developer Sad I hope I am mistaken…

Re: The Boost Libraries [message #2005 is a reply to message #1508] Fri, 15 July 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant

BOOKs:

(1)
"C++ Template Metaprogramming: Concepts, Tools, and Techniques from Boost and Beyond"

By David Abrahams, Aleksey Gurtovoy.
Published by Addison Wesley Professional.
Series: C++ In-Depth Series.
http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321227255

(2)
"Boost Graph Library, The: User Guide and Reference Manual"

By Jeremy G. Siek, Lie-Quan Lee, Andrew Lumsdaine.
Published by Addison Wesley Professional.
Series: C++ In-Depth Series.
http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201729148

Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #2676 is a reply to message #1514] Wed, 14 December 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
continuous participant
Anar,

Please try to stick to the topic and try not to become too private with your comments.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #2677 is a reply to message #2676] Wed, 14 December 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant

Kilian Schwarz wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 11:35

Anar,

Please try to stick to the topic and try not to become too private with your comments.

Cheers,

Kilian

Kilian, is it another bunch of coal to the fire to keep the topic on the top? Smile
Why did you decide to moderate something which has happened 9 month ago?

Peace! Very Happy

Sorry for the off-topic.

BTW, Your post is off-topic as well Smile The moderator’s warning you could send as a private message or I am on a level Twisted Evil when only public punishment can help?

Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #2678 is a reply to message #2677] Wed, 14 December 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
continuous participant
Hi Anar,

Sorry, I did not see that the topic was that old.
Ok, I agree with your other comments, too.

Cheers,

Kilian

[Updated on: Wed, 14 December 2005 12:16]

Re: The Boost Libraries -- tests [message #2679 is a reply to message #2678] Wed, 14 December 2005 12:26 Go to previous message
continuous participant

Kilian Schwarz wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 12:16

Hi Anar,

Sorry, I did not see that the topic was that old.
Ok, I agree with your other comments, too.

Cheers,

Kilian

Kilian, I was just joking! This is why I put smiles Smile Smile
In anyway I DO appreciate your comments.

Peace!!

[Updated on: Wed, 14 December 2005 12:27]

Previous Topic: Effective C++ 3ed (c) Scott Meyers
Next Topic: A Brief Look at C++0x by Bjarne Stroustrup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:12:08 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01002 seconds