GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » NUSTAR » NUSTAR PRESPEC » prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? (Share experiences of using the GRID)
prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17563] Mon, 24 November 2014 11:02 Go to next message
miree is currently offline  miree
continuous participant
Hello everybody,

There were attempts to compile/run the prespec software package on the Cern GRID.
There are some problems with missing libraries, so I wanted to go on the GRID and give it a try.

However, I have already problems getting on the GRID:
I got a certificate from my university that allowed me to become member of the agata.vo on the GRID.
But how do I proceed? Are there some software packages that I need to install on my computer?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Re: prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17565 is a reply to message #17563] Mon, 24 November 2014 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thuyuk is currently offline  thuyuk
continuous participant

Hi Michael,

You should have obtained your certificate via your web browser. Then, extract the certificate into PKCS12 format and follow the steps in the attached pdf document. You may also find some basic operations in the same document.

You don't need to install any packages to your computer. Just make sure that you can ssh to the user interface in your institute. User interface is just some kind of port between you and the GRID where you can test your programs if they would work on GRID and you can submit jobs.

Cheers,
tayfun
  • Attachment: grid.pdf
    (Size: 122.77KB, Downloaded 559 times)
Re: prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17567 is a reply to message #17565] Mon, 24 November 2014 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Thanks,

that assumes we have such a "user interface" computer at our institute. I'll try to see if I have access to a user interface.
In case I don't: Is there any possibility to get an account on existing user interfaces of other institutes?

Cheers,
Michael
Re: prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17568 is a reply to message #17567] Mon, 24 November 2014 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thuyuk is currently offline  thuyuk
continuous participant

Hi Michael,

Yes, most likely your institute have a UI.

I doubt if you could arrange an access to a UI of an other institute. We may ask to our IT department to open a temporary account, but it would not last more than a month. I think we had a similar case during the EGAN school in December, 2012, i.e. there were temporary accounts especially opened for the school for those who don't possess the GRID access.

Cheers,
Tayfun
Re: prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17569 is a reply to message #17568] Mon, 24 November 2014 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damian Ralet
continuous participant
Hi Michael,

I am wondering if Marc was not looking at this already. Maybe he could give more information?

I heard it was also possible to install you own UI on a scientific linux computer, but I am not sure this is valid. SInce I am not so familar with the grid, I might have miss-understood.

Cheers,
Damian
Re: prespec on the GRID: How do I use the GRID? [message #17570 is a reply to message #17569] Mon, 24 November 2014 17:02 Go to previous message
continuous participant
Hi Damian,

so far, we (Marc and me) only got the certificate.

I'll shortly describe the process which might be of interest for others (in Germany) to get such a certificate:
On the following site:
https://info.pca.dfn.de/grid-ras.html
is a list of institutions that give Grid certificates. It also lists email addresses of persons in charge.
I wrote to the TU-Darmstadt person and he gave me further instructions.
After, I applied for membership in the AGATA virtual organization, as described here:
http://csngwinfo.in2p3.fr/mediawiki/index.php/Grid_HowTo#2009_Week_46

Cheers,
Michael
Previous Topic: AGATA data replay
Next Topic: New CoreTracking Algorithm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:41:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00575 seconds