GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays
Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays [message #14243] Wed, 28 November 2012 13:01 Go to next message
2dd180b0 is currently offline  2dd180b0
occasional visitor
Dear all,

I've come across a problem while trying to reconstruct the following decay:
D0 -> Ks pi+ pi-, Ks -> pi+ pi-

The procedure I use is to first use PndKinVtxFitter to fit the pi+ pi- from the Ks decay to a common vertex, and then use PndKinVtxFitter to combine the fitted Ks with another pi+ pi- pair, to reconstruct the D0. The problem is that the fit to the D0 -> Ks pi+ pi- always returns nan for the chi^2.

The fitting code I use is exactly analogous to that used by Marius to reconstruct psi(3770) -> D+ D-, D+- -> K+- pi+ pi-, and we think that the problem is due to PndKinVtxFitter not being able to properly handle the neutral Ks candidate.

I've attached the analysis code and EvtGen decay file that I used for this analysis.

Best,
Sean
Re: Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays [message #14244 is a reply to message #14243] Wed, 28 November 2012 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Kliemt is currently offline  Ralf Kliemt
first-grade participant

Hallo Dean,

It is a "known issue" that the vertex fitters don't handle neutral particles correctly. In the new year I'll invest some time to repair that behaviour.

Bear in mind that the vertex fitters primarily are made for charged tracks under the common vertex hypothesis. You can, however, fit on the vertex of your pions from the D0 and select for the chi2. The cleaned pion sample is used to combine with the K0 to the D0. You can then apply the 4C fit (knowing the initial system) on both D0 and aD0 for further improvement.

Cheers
Ralf Kliemt
Re: Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays [message #14245 is a reply to message #14244] Wed, 28 November 2012 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Albrecht Gillitzer is currently offline  Albrecht Gillitzer
continuous participant
Hello Ralf,

I have another problem with PndKinVtxFitter: After fitting the mu+ and mu- tracks from J/psi decay to a common vertex (and in case of more than one found combination taking the one with the best chi2) and applying a chi2 cut, the mu+mu- invariant mass distribution has a clearly larger width than obtained with the raw, unfitted tracks. I would expect the opposite since after fitting and chi2 cut the result should be closer to reality.
Is this also a "known issue"? And could you please also look into this problem?

cheers, Albrecht
Re: Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays [message #14246 is a reply to message #14244] Wed, 28 November 2012 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2dd180b0 is currently offline  2dd180b0
occasional visitor
Dear Ralf,

Thanks for the information! I'll try doing what you've suggested.

Cheers,
Sean
Re: Problem with PndKinVtxFitter and Ks decays [message #14247 is a reply to message #14245] Wed, 28 November 2012 15:18 Go to previous message
Ralf Kliemt is currently offline  Ralf Kliemt
first-grade participant

Hello Albrecht,

From the fitter algorithm point of view I think it is not necessary that the composite mass resolution has to improve with a vertex fit, especiually with only two particles at hand. In principle these fitters adjust the momentum directions of the daughter particles.
Could you plot the dependence between the chi2 and the mass resolution?

Cheers
Ralf
Previous Topic: [FIXED] Crash in PndDrcHitProducerIdeal with Mai2011 packages
Next Topic: [WARN] Removing candidates while looping over TCandList
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:37:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00887 seconds