GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » new segmentation violation in sim macro
new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13370] Wed, 18 April 2012 18:26 Go to next message
Albrecht Gillitzer is currently offline  Albrecht Gillitzer
continuous participant
Hi,

I got a new crash with segmentation violation at event number 1651 in executing the sim macro, using a different random seed value = 20.
Otherwise the conditions are still the same: standard simulation macro for pbar d --> p phi pi-, PandaRoot revision = 15051.

In this case it seems to have something to do with STT. The output is attached.

Any idea what it means in detail?

Albrecht
  • Attachment: crash_20.txt
    (Size: 10.93KB, Downloaded 266 times)
Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13378 is a reply to message #13370] Fri, 20 April 2012 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Dear Albrecht,
I just had a look into the piece of code which produces the crash and I found that there a string which is extracted from the path that is not correct. I will fix it and let you know when I am done, so that you can check if it works. Please, be patient since I am working on another issue at the moment, I will fix this as soon as possible.
Best regards,
Lia.
Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13386 is a reply to message #13378] Mon, 23 April 2012 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Dear Lia and Stefano,

The crash doen't block me. The probability is below the per mille level. I didn't happen before and it didn't afterwards, so far. I guess it is a particular combination of generated final state and random numbers in propagation.
Nevertheless I think it is better to report all these crashes in order to eventually remove the bugs responsible for them, one by one.

Best regards,
Albrecht

Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13387 is a reply to message #13386] Mon, 23 April 2012 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Dear Albrecht,
I fixed the part of code which was filling the string in a bad way, so I hope that now the crash will disappear.
If there are further problems, please let me know.
Best regards,
Lia.
Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13388 is a reply to message #13387] Mon, 23 April 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Dear Lia,

Thank you very much, but how to really test this?
I think if I do an svn update, probably also other things changed meanwhile. Then the history of random numbers before it comes to event 1651 will be different, and thus the non-observation of the crash could be unrelated to your changes.
Anyway, it is good that you found a bug and were able to remove it.

Best regards,
Albrecht
Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13390 is a reply to message #13388] Mon, 23 April 2012 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Quote:

Thank you very much, but how to really test this?
I think if I do an svn update, probably also other things changed meanwhile. Then the history of random numbers before it comes to event 1651 will be different, and thus the non-observation of the crash could be unrelated to your changes.

If you want to test it, you can svn update only the file stt/PndStt.cxx, which is the one with the fixed bug, and try to run the same simulation which was crashing before.

Best regards,
Lia.
Re: new segmentation violation in sim macro [message #13391 is a reply to message #13390] Mon, 23 April 2012 18:51 Go to previous message
continuous participant
Thank you, I will do this. But it will take a few days, since I have to wait for a series of simulation runs to be completed.

Best regards,
Albrecht
Previous Topic: fatal error in Event generation
Next Topic: crash in reco macro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:55:56 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00885 seconds