GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » GSI Forum » Forum Feature Requests/General Discussion » How to proceed with the forum
icon5.gif  How to proceed with the forum [message #910] Mon, 13 September 2004 11:07 Go to next message
Walter F.J. Müller is currently offline  Walter F.J. Müller
first-grade participant

On June 29th the question of whether and when to upgrade to a newer version of the forum software was already raised in a posting in this forum.

Now we about 9 weeks later, the FUD software folks have released by now the version 2.6.6, and we are still running a patched 2.6.2 release with some unresolved problems, the most anoying one being the Redundant subscription entries - multiple notifications issue.

So I wonder now what the plan to proceed with the FUD software is. I'd appreciate very much if a clear plan of action with some time estimates could be posted.

W.F.J.Müller, GSI, CBM, Tel: 2766
Re: How to proceed with the forum [message #912 is a reply to message #910] Mon, 13 September 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christopher Huhn is currently offline  Christopher Huhn
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Hello Walter,

as you know we have already been testing 2.6.5 RC2 internally for a while.

The current version 2.6.6 was just released two weeks ago - only one day after the long expected release of 2.6.5.

Due to this surprising release cycle and the fact that there's no full time forum administrator as well as there was - and is - a lot of work to be done in the linux farm I delayed any upgrade activities until a view bug reports concerning the new release come in.

Regards,
Christopher
Re: How to proceed with the forum [message #945 is a reply to message #912] Sun, 19 September 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Christopher Huhn wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 14:07

as you know we have already been testing 2.6.5 RC2 internally for a while.

The current version 2.6.6 was just released two weeks ago - only one day after the long expected release of 2.6.5.

To get this converging, I'd like to see a clear procedure. Please, make a decision what version we want to evaluate, update the test forum accordingly (if you pick 2.6.5 RC2 that's the easy part), and make a clear statement what functionality you'd like to see tested (this based on your judgement where the weak spots might be). This way we'll have a stable basis and a check list to work on, and also a clear basis for a decision.

I'd appreciate that such a plan of action is posted here, so that we get this finally resolved before xmas Razz

Re: How to proceed with the forum [message #947 is a reply to message #945] Mon, 20 September 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Last monday the test installation was already upgraded to 2.6.6.

This should have been announced to the interested audience (that is you and Olaf Hartmann) in multiple ways (new topic notification + direct email to all test forum users). If you did not receive it, maybe there's something wrong with the mail system on the test host.

Anyhow there wasn't any feedback yet ...

My plan for future upgrades:

• Encourage more users (all grop leaders and moderators?) to review the test installation.
  • Keep the test installation up to date with the latest stable release.
  • Update the production installation only if serious bugs are fixed or indispensable new features come up.

Alternative solution: keep the production installation up to date with the latest stable release and live with errors that eventually creep in (i. e. broken email notification).

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 11:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to proceed with the forum -- URL of the test forum [message #950 is a reply to message #947] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Christopher Huhn wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 11:12

Last monday the test installation was already upgraded to 2.6.6.

Just to allow others to join the test forum (and thus to broaden the 'interested audience') here the URL of the test installation:

http://lxdv12.gsi.de/FUDforum2/index.php

{fixed typo, added highlighting}

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 18:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to proceed with the forum -- Access problems with 2.6.6 test installation [message #951 is a reply to message #947] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

The test installation under http://lxdv12.gsi.de/FUDforum2/index.php seems to have now rather strange access rules to the one and only forum called 'TestForum'.

If not logged in, I see the 'TestForum' forum, and can read the topics and posts:
index.php?t=getfile&id=261

If I login as user 'mueller', the 'TestForum' forum is not longer visible, the test system is essentally useless when I'm logged on:
index.php?t=getfile&id=262

That got probably screwed up during the upgrade, because I had posted 5 messages before the recent upgrades were done.
  • Attachment: fud_1.png
    (Size: 45.46KB, Downloaded 1013 times)
  • Attachment: fud_2.png
    (Size: 44.90KB, Downloaded 1024 times)

Re: How to proceed with the forum -- Regsitration problems with 2.6.6 test installation [message #952 is a reply to message #951] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

When trying to register as a new user in the test 2.6.6. installation one gets in the 'Required information' section section an new field:

index.php?t=getfile&id=263

It is not entirely obvious what to enter. Probably this is a somewhat ill-conveived method to avoid automatized registrations. If this feature can be disabled, please do so.
  • Attachment: fud_1.png
    (Size: 2.28KB, Downloaded 984 times)

Re: How to proceed with the forum -- Regsitration problems with 2.6.6 test installation [message #953 is a reply to message #952] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

The main problem with the 'Please enter the code shown below' gadget is that the shown 'code' is only readable when it is displayed in a fixed pitch font. Obviously the 2.6.6 version does not ensure that it is rendered fixed pitch, at least with Mozilla as browser, see previous posting. So this hack is imho superfluous (so disable it) and also not even properly implemented (so one might want to issue a bug report at http://fudforum.org/forum/).

Re: How to proceed with the forum -- URL of the test forum [message #954 is a reply to message #950] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

Note: This machine is a desktop PC of our group! There will never be any uptime obligation (not even to speek of a guarantee ...).
Re: How to proceed with the forum -- Regsitration problems with 2.6.6 test installation [message #955 is a reply to message #952] Mon, 20 September 2004 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

It's deactivatable and I did so
Re: How to proceed with the forum -- Access problems with 2.6.6 test installation [message #956 is a reply to message #951] Mon, 20 September 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

I think that was a pollution from the past.
There was a problem with group management:

When a user is promoted to a group leader, his user rights for the affected forums are all set to Deny.

(While this still applies, there is obviously some kind of override in 2.6.6 so group leaders user rights are not regarded anymore)

Anyhow it looks like Olaf and you were group leaders some aeons ago but not any more.
icon2.gif  Re: How to proceed with the forum [message #957 is a reply to message #947] Mon, 20 September 2004 18:31 Go to previous message
continuous participant
super-utilisateur

By the way: I'd prefer discussing further issues with the test forum in place.

Previous Topic: Upgrade 2.6.2 -> 2.6.4
Next Topic: How to proceed with the forum - Mk 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:09:36 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00990 seconds