GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Tracking » running analysis macros on GRID
running analysis macros on GRID [message #12030] Thu, 16 June 2011 16:34 Go to next message
Dima Melnychuk is currently offline  Dima Melnychuk
first-grade participant
Hi all,

My first question is mainly to Stefano concerning running analysis macros on GRID.

For eta_c channel produced results are located in /panda/user/p/pbarprod/tdr11/output/sig/run201/
in 500 folders in each for 1000 events.

And for example in folder /2/ there is a output file
evt_pid_stt_r201_2.root

And my problem is how to manage those file names to use them as an input in my analysis macro. From the http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/TDR11 I understood that Stefano tried to manage it producing collection. But I cannot understand by myself how it helps here. So my question is if there are exists a working example how to manage file names for analysis. Is it done in .jdl file or should it be done in .sh script which runs root macro?

I have a backup solution to run my macro locally but I would like to try to run it on GRID when data will be produced.

And another partially related technical question on which I couldn't find an answer is how to run alien on GSI machine.

I tried to install alien at GSI in my private directory but have the following error:

------------------------------------------
   ###################### Automated AliEn vobox installer ##############################
   Installing in the user specified directory: /d/panda02/dmelnych/pandagrid/alien
   Platform set as Linux: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
   Waiting 10 seconds. Press 'Ctrl+c' to exit the installation..........   Done
   Downloading vobox distribution.........................................   Done
   Extracting the files......................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................
.............................................................................................................................
....   Done
/d/panda02/dmelnych/pandagrid/alien.v2-18.85/bin/perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /d/panda02/
dmelnych/pandagrid/alien.v2-18.85/bin/perl)

But I assume that there is already alien installation at GSI and I should only properly set a path, since by default another application "alien" from /usr/bin/alien is running. Anybody have a solution how to do it?
Re: running analysis macros on GRID [message #12031 is a reply to message #12030] Thu, 16 June 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Hi Dima,

At the moment, better run it locally on your machine. We have still some troubles to move the data around on the grid, so that the active computing nodes can pick up jobs properly.

I will forward your second question to Kilian.... I can already tell you that alien v2.18 cannot be installed there, and one should use alien v2.17 in stead. But I am sure that that is already available...

Johan.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 June 2011 16:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: running analysis macros on GRID [message #12032 is a reply to message #12030] Thu, 16 June 2011 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Hi,
about analysis jdl, as stated on the previous meetings at present it is not possible to run analysis directly on the grid, you have to download the files locally. To run analysis on grid, we have to run again the generation files, and we will prepare default macros once this will be done (so after another freeze out of the code).

About your crash in alien installation, I have tried with a lenny64 machine and everything has run fine. If you are using an etch machine, they are not maintained since several months and they are going to be abandoned, so you should move to lenny. If you are using lenny... then it is time to send a mail to killian...
Re: running analysis macros on GRID [message #12039 is a reply to message #12030] Thu, 16 June 2011 22:43 Go to previous message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

just for the forum records (answer from Kilian)...

How to use alien client at GSI:

. .alienv218login

Johan.

Dima Melnychuk wrote on Thu, 16 June 2011 16:34

Hi all,

My first question is mainly to Stefano concerning running analysis macros on GRID.

For eta_c channel produced results are located in /panda/user/p/pbarprod/tdr11/output/sig/run201/
in 500 folders in each for 1000 events.

And for example in folder /2/ there is a output file
evt_pid_stt_r201_2.root

And my problem is how to manage those file names to use them as an input in my analysis macro. From the http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/TDR11 I understood that Stefano tried to manage it producing collection. But I cannot understand by myself how it helps here. So my question is if there are exists a working example how to manage file names for analysis. Is it done in .jdl file or should it be done in .sh script which runs root macro?

I have a backup solution to run my macro locally but I would like to try to run it on GRID when data will be produced.

And another partially related technical question on which I couldn't find an answer is how to run alien on GSI machine.

I tried to install alien at GSI in my private directory but have the following error:

###################### Automated AliEn vobox installer ##############################
   Installing in the user specified directory: /d/panda02/dmelnych/pandagrid/alien
   Platform set as Linux: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
   Waiting 10 seconds. Press 'Ctrl+c' to exit the installation..........   Done
   Downloading vobox distribution.........................................   Done
   Extracting the files......................................................................................................
....   Done
/d/panda02/dmelnych/pandagrid/alien.v2-18.85/bin/perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /d/panda02/
dmelnych/pandagrid/alien.v2-18.85/bin/perl)

But I assume that there is already alien installation at GSI and I should only properly set a path, since by default another application "alien" from /usr/bin/alien is running. Anybody have a solution how to do it?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2011 09:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: STT reconstruction efficiency in eta_c analysis
Next Topic: STT signal data available on GRID
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:00:49 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00857 seconds