GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Alice » Alice TRD chamber construction » Badly glued Padplanes
Badly glued Padplanes [message #784] Mon, 16 August 2004 16:08 Go to next message
Clemens Adler is currently offline  Clemens Adler
continuous participant
Dear All,
The first padplanes we glued (by rolling glue onto the honeycomb) had (as I reported earlier at several occasions) the problem, that there are areas where the padplane is hanging in the air.
I just looked at the second padplane we glued together with Oleg and Sascha last november, and measured the effect again.
The areas which are not glued are ~50 micron higher than the surounding area, and they can be pressed down by ~100 micron, so they would be 50 micron below the surounding level. Those values, we agreed at the time, are within our limits. However, I think that slight overpressure could easily deform the padplane in those places after looking at them again.
I think we could fix it by drilling holes into the padplane and inserting glue. At least to fix the loose areas at some more points.
Now my question I would like to pose for discussion:
We would have to drill holes of ~1,5-1,8mm diameter into the padplane. This I would do at the end of a pad where 3 pads meet (to minimize the amount of pad space taken away).
I think a (small) reduction of pad area is more desirable than a pressure dependant gain.
But I would like to hear your opinion.

cheers,
Clemens
Re: Badly glued Padplanes [message #786 is a reply to message #784] Mon, 16 August 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chilo Garabatos is currently offline  Chilo Garabatos
occasional visitor
Hi, Clemens,
Plus or minus 50 microns in the position of the padplane results in +- 4% gain variation. Given the foreseen stability of the overpressure in the chamber Razz I would suggest not going through the trouble of drilling, filling, sanding down etc.
Regards,
Chilo
Re: Badly glued Padplanes [message #886 is a reply to message #786] Fri, 03 September 2004 10:37 Go to previous message
Harald Appelshaeuser is currently offline  Harald Appelshaeuser
continuous participant
I agree with Chilo. On the other hand, couldnt you drill through the sandwich from other side and insert some glue from there?

Harry
Previous Topic: Anode breaking
Next Topic: Wire tension problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:56:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00738 seconds