GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » 'timeouts' problem fixed
'timeouts' problem fixed [message #10459] Tue, 23 March 2010 19:37 Go to next message
Gianluigi Boca is currently offline  Gianluigi Boca
first-grade participant
hallo,
the problem of some events taking too much time for processing with the STT real Patter Recognition has been solved.
As expected, it was caused by 'bad' events in which some very low momentum particles - probably delta rays - originated along the 'main' tracks.
These low momentum tracks continued to spiralize many times into the STT system producing typically 100 hits in few straws.
The PR algorithm then essentially goes nuts. It is not a matter of this particulary algorithm, any algorithm would fail in these situations.
I choose to reject those hits produced by spiralization simply by excluding those straws with multiple hits from the PR.
Noe the situation is back to normal.
Please update your stt directory
Gianluigi
Re: 'timeouts' problem fixed [message #10460 is a reply to message #10459] Tue, 23 March 2010 23:16 Go to previous message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Hi,

Many thanks. It indeed looks much much much more stable than before. I just did a massive test of 1000 jobs, each with 10 events and each with a different random seed on a homogeneous system with 40 cores (64 bit, Suse Enterprise), running the stt QA macros (1 & 4). The outcome is: 989 jobs finished successfully, 9 jobs did not pass the validation test (output has text that contains words like "Segmentation violation" "Segmentation fault" "Abort" "Bus error" "Floating point exception"), and 2 jobs did not finish within 3 hours (timeout). That is already a serious improvement!! The origin of the validation errors, I didn't check, but they also seem to occur with the ideal track finder (so might be related to something else). Two jobs ended with a timeout... hmmmm Rolling Eyes

Johan.
Previous Topic: libstt.so error
Next Topic: STT big changes.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:38:55 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01083 seconds