GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PANDA - Computing » Grid and Infrastructure » Jan10 external packages on GRID
icon4.gif  Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10171] Thu, 11 February 2010 09:40 Go to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Dear "griders",
considering that since january there is a new version of the pandaroot external packages, namely "Jan10", which was tested and it seems stable (and much better than the previous version), I think it would be good to have this package installed in our grid network, so that it is possible to run not only simulation but also reconstruction (many crashes of the last data challenge were due to a bug in geane, which in jan10 is solved).

Would you think this is possible?

Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10179 is a reply to message #10171] Thu, 11 February 2010 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Hi,

The new external packages are now available via packman on the grid:

packman install panda_extern::jan10

I would like to ask all the administrators to start this installation procedure on their machines and monitor whether it went OK. The KVI machines will in about half-an-hour be panda_extern::jan10 compliant.

Greetings,

Johan
Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10199 is a reply to message #10179] Fri, 12 February 2010 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Dear all,

I also installed the "stable" release of pandaroot on the grid: pandaroot::stable, which depends upon the new external packages.

Johan.
Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10200 is a reply to message #10171] Fri, 12 February 2010 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Dear all,

I changed the dependencies of the package "pandaroot-dev::latest" to the new external packages. For all administrators, please re-install this package on your site:

packman remove pandaroot-dev::latest
packman install pandaroot-dev::latest

That should do the job, but check the logfile....

Note that the pandaroot-dev::latest installs the /development, /release, /stable, and /trunk branches of pandaroot. Furthermore, the installation places an entry in crontab, which regularly makes a build of the stable branch together with a ctest, which results are submitted to the dashboard.

Johan.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 February 2010 22:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10238 is a reply to message #10200] Fri, 19 February 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Hi Johan,
it is not clear to me why the installation of pandaroot-dev::latest should copy all the stuff, even from /development, /release, /stable.

If I consider only the trunk, which is the package more used and compiled by the cron job, it takes 0.5Gb the source code and 0.5Gb the compiled stuff. If I moltiply this value times three, we have 3Gb of disk space used, but only 1 Gb is really needed.
Moreover, development is not compiled and it has only private stuff (almost).

For this reason I am wondering if maybe "latest" should install only the trunk, and not the additional stuff.

Any opinion?
Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10239 is a reply to message #10238] Fri, 19 February 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Hi,

I actually would agree with you. But for some reason, the installation script was defined like that in the past. I didnt want to change it, however, if nobody objects, I suggest to only include the /trunk in the latest development package.

Johan
Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10240 is a reply to message #10239] Fri, 19 February 2010 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
continuous participant

Hi Johan, Stefano,

I agree with you, if /trunk is enough, then we should include only that.

Cheers,
Dan
Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10241 is a reply to message #10240] Fri, 19 February 2010 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Ok, I will try to update the installation scripts accordingly and make an announcement when I am finished and tested it...

Johan.
icon4.gif  Re: Jan10 external packages on GRID [message #10242 is a reply to message #10241] Fri, 19 February 2010 21:51 Go to previous message
first-grade participant

Dear all,

I modified the installation of the package pbarprod@pandaroot-dev::latest, such that it only installs the /trunk branch and adapt the crontab accordingly. Please remove the older version and re-install the updated version:

packman remove pbarprod@pandaroot-dev::latest
packman install pbarprod@pandaroot-dev::latest

Note that the software depends on the package pbarprod@panda_extern::jan10, which needs to be installed prior to the package.

Johan.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 February 2010 21:53]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Panda computing sessions in CM@GSI, December 2009
Next Topic: Request for contributions for the upcoming collaboration meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:59:08 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00883 seconds