GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » External packages Jan10 is now available
External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9983] Mon, 18 January 2010 21:33 Go to next message
Mohammad Al-Turany is currently offline  Mohammad Al-Turany
first-grade participant
Dear all,

The new External packages (jan10) is now available (see http://fairroot.gsi.de).

In this release:

1. Improve the installation script and support new system
    • MAC OS X 10.6.x (Snow leoparad)
    • Suse 11.2
    • Ubuntu 9.10
  2. Check for needed system libraries and headers and report if missing
  3. Boost library installation has been minimized
  4. Add Pythia8130 to the external packages
  5. Add GNU Linear Programming Kit (4.39) to the external packages
  6. Geant4 4.9.2.p02 and Geant4 VMC (2.7b): Support production cuts and translation between energy and range cuts for better comparisons between G3 and G4.
  7. ROOT 5.26: see http://root.cern.ch/root/v526/Version526.news.html for new features and improvements.

regards

Mohammad

Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9985 is a reply to message #9983] Mon, 18 January 2010 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Many thanks, Mohammad.

For the developers and "up-to-date" users, please try to install the new external packages asap. We can discuss problems in the next PandaRoot meeting (if there are any!). Also note that the new external should fix the Geane bug as well...

Greetings,

Johan.

Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9989 is a reply to message #9985] Tue, 19 January 2010 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

SL 4.7 - testing macros/pid

Installation: fine
compilation: fine
running sim macro: fine
running digi macro: file
running reco macro: fine (500 muons at 1GeV with geane -> no crashes)
running pid macro: fine
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9990 is a reply to message #9989] Tue, 19 January 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Hallo,
I just run the Kalman fit on two sets of 2000 muon tracks each to test GEANE and both sets went fine with no crash Smile

Lia.
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9991 is a reply to message #9990] Tue, 19 January 2010 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

I have also the feeling it is much faster... but maybe I am too much optimistic now Smile
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9992 is a reply to message #9991] Wed, 20 January 2010 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asanchez is currently offline  asanchez
first-grade participant
Dear all,
what about if some of you, GEANE experts,
run a more realistic case using for example Urqmd or Dpm(not only muons at 1GeV) )to check the stability of geane?

that would be great.Wink

best regards
ALicia S.

Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #9995 is a reply to message #9992] Wed, 20 January 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Hi,
I have simulated 500 events with psi' -> J/psi pi+ pi-.
At event 238 I have a crash in FairGeaneUtil:

Toggle Spoiler

But I think the problem comes from LheKalmanTask, and not from Geane. Tomorrow I will try to investigate about.
missing ROOT libraries [message #10005 is a reply to message #9983] Thu, 21 January 2010 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Hartmann is currently offline  Olaf Hartmann
continuous participant
Hi all,

with the new external packages I can not compile the EvtGen package:

[olaf@pc43 EvtGen]$ make bin
gcc -L. -L/usr/lib64/cernlib/2006/lib/ -L/home/olaf/fairsoft/cern/clhep/lib -L/home/olaf/fairsoft/tools/root/lib -lRIO -lSQL -lNet -o testEvtGen testEvtGen.o -lEvtGen -lEvtGenModels -lEvtGenBase -lCLHEP -l -lpdflib804 -lpacklib -lmathlib -lphotos202 -lCore -lCint -lHist -lGraf -lGraf3d -lGpad -lTree -lRint -lPostscript -lMatrix -lPhysics -ldl -lg2c -lnsl -lm -lMathCore -lThread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSQL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

libSQL.so is present in the july09 root version, but not in the current one ...

Cheers
Olaf.
Re: missing ROOT libraries [message #10006 is a reply to message #10005] Thu, 21 January 2010 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Al-Turany is currently offline  Mohammad Al-Turany
first-grade participant
Hi Olaf,

First of all EvtGen is not part of PandaRoot or fair external packages, So may be it would be even better to remove it from pandaroot svn and put it somewhere else.

I never understood why it need SQL? in fact it does not but the the library is linked there in the config.mk, so please remove it from there! if you are using g77 then that is it, otherwise you have to remove also the libg2c and replace it with libgfortran.

cheers,

Mohammad

Re: missing ROOT libraries [message #10007 is a reply to message #10006] Thu, 21 January 2010 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

libSQL was required by ROOT since v5.16.
If it is not needed anymore, we could remove it from the configuration script.
Re: missing ROOT libraries [message #10010 is a reply to message #10007] Thu, 21 January 2010 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Hi,

Be-aware that we decided to keep as much as possible the compatibility with the old external packages for the time being. Maybe it would be good if we update the installation wiki page concerning EvtGen where we can indicate the changes etc. Of course the best would be if we could improve the building system for EvtGen in the course of time.... I will start defining a workpackage on this, since the installation of EvtGen keeps on bugging us.

Done: http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/WorkPackageEvtGenForPand a

Olaf, could I interest you for this workpackage?

Johan.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2010 21:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #10011 is a reply to message #9995] Thu, 21 January 2010 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Found the problem, and by-passed.
Please update lhetrack package.
Now I was able to run 1000 psi' events up to PID without a single crash.
Re: missing ROOT libraries [message #10018 is a reply to message #10006] Fri, 22 January 2010 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olaf Hartmann is currently offline  Olaf Hartmann
continuous participant
Mohammad Al-Turany wrote on Thu, 21 January 2010 17:24

I never understood why it need SQL? in fact it does not but the the library is linked there in the config.mk, so please remove it from there! if you are using g77 then that is it, otherwise you have to remove also the libg2c and replace it with libgfortran.

I changed locally the default link options in the configure script omitting lSQL, and EvtGen can be linked. I did not test whether it still works with the ROOT version in the july09 external packages.

Bye,
Olaf.

Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #10023 is a reply to message #9992] Fri, 22 January 2010 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Hi Alicia,
following your suggestion, I tested GEANE running the Kalman fit (macro/stt/rungenfit.C) on 1000 evts from Urqmd (pbar at 1.5 GeV/c annihilating on He4 ) and it ended without crashing: I tested it once taking the pdg code from the MC truth and another time following the more realistic idea that we don' t know which particle we are propagating and we have to run the fit on the 5 particle hypothesis (actually I didn' t do it for all 5 particles, but I chose just one of them, the pion, setting pdg by hand to +/-211, depending on the charge). Both tests ended normally.

Ciao,
Lia.
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #10027 is a reply to message #10023] Fri, 22 January 2010 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asanchez is currently offline  asanchez
first-grade participant
Dear Lia
thanks a lot
for your efforts.

I have a question, maybe it is too naive
but is geane runnig well using geant4, or one
should use geant3 exclusively to be able to
get geane stable??

thanks again
Alicia.
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #10028 is a reply to message #10027] Fri, 22 January 2010 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Geane is independent on what you use in simulation. Therefore, you could use g3 as well as g4, nothing will change in geane results.
Re: External packages Jan10 is now available [message #10036 is a reply to message #10028] Mon, 25 January 2010 10:56 Go to previous message
Lia Lavezzi
first-grade participant

Exactly,
you can simulate either with geant3 or with geant4 and then use geane without problems, though geane propagates the particles with geant3-based routines. It just reads the geometry and the magnetic field, but it does not depend on what you used to simulate events.

However, a track follower geane-like, but geant4-based, called geant4e has been released and we are managing to test it with pandaroot (to compare it to geane).

Obviously, if you find any problem in running geane after geant4 please tell us! Smile
Ciao,
Lia.
Previous Topic: Problem in running Lumi macro in 32bit machine
Next Topic: pandaroot cuts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:25:02 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00846 seconds