GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PANDA - Computing » Grid and Infrastructure » /d/panda02 100% full at GSI
/d/panda02 100% full at GSI [message #8940] Thu, 02 July 2009 16:54 Go to next message
mpeliz is currently offline  mpeliz
continuous participant
Hello,

Sophie metinoned in the Hypernews that /d/panda02 is 100% filled up and that she and Eric could not work anymore.
I post this issue to a broader audience and would like to ask the top users (above 100 GB, list below) to move/remove some data.

In general we should think about how to distribute the user's data among the different /d/pandaXX file systems. Any input is welcome.

Best regards,

Marc

103G jzhong
131G moraespi
154G sophie
172G msteinke
48G gosia
68G rjaekel
74G abiegun
99G kgoetzen

Re: /d/panda02 100% full at GSI [message #8941 is a reply to message #8940] Thu, 02 July 2009 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernd Lewandowski is currently offline  Bernd Lewandowski
occasional visitor
Hello Marc,

I already wrote an email to the top 5 of /d/panda02. Smile

Just a short remark to the different areas:

/d/panda01 is for users
/d/panda02 is for users
/d/panda03 is for simulations for the Panda Physics Book
/d/panda04 is for grid computing
/d/panda05 is for simulations for the Panda Physics Book

If the areas /d/panda03 and /d/panda05 can be made free
of the simulation data, these places would be also
available for users.

Best Regards,
Bernd
Re: /d/panda02 100% full at GSI [message #8942 is a reply to message #8941] Thu, 02 July 2009 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Hi Bernd,

thanks for informing the top users. So we have 50-60 users. We have two file systems of ~1.2TB each. If we divide the group of users in users with initials a-k on /d/panda01 and l-z on /d/panda02 we could organize the growing community. Furtheron I suggest to collect the work areas of users with the same initals in one subdirecory.

This will of course not prevent users to occupy more disk space than necessary. Probably we could setup a cron job checking the free disk space and inform the users having an amunt of data above a certain limit before the disk is 100% full.

Let me know what you think,
Marc

Re: /d/panda02 100% full at GSI [message #8943 is a reply to message #8942] Fri, 03 July 2009 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Hi,
I don't think the solution to divide different users into different disks could help us, even because the full disk is due usually to few users, and they are not "equally" distributed in alphabetical order. This could mean that one disk could become full before the other, and the user who needs additional space cannot use the other free disk. And if the community will grew, we will need maybe more disks and then we should move the user under the corresponding disk... not so nice, I think.

Let me remind that the folders in /d/panda0X are created by the users and are not set automatically by the system, so if I need more space, I could create a new dir in a different disk. I know this solution is not so nice, but panda has not yet fixed policies and resources for the computing, even because it is a bit early, therefore I think we have to live for some time with some "precarious" state.

Just my opinion, of course
Re: /d/panda02 100% full at GSI [message #8944 is a reply to message #8943] Fri, 03 July 2009 10:46 Go to previous message
continuous participant
Hi,

if the users could not create a directory here and there when one file system is full, but the work space is assigned to them I think it would discipline the users not to store unnecessary data for longer time.

With regards,
Marc

Previous Topic: Merry Christmas and Happy 2009
Next Topic: Next Grid Workshop in Turin, Italy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:36:36 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds