GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Meetings » Pandaroot meeting, Tuesday 13th of January, 10:00, EVO
Pandaroot meeting, Tuesday 13th of January, 10:00, EVO [message #7664] Sun, 11 January 2009 15:59 Go to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Dear all,

Next Tuesday will have our regular PandaRoot meeting @ 10:00, EVO (e.g. usual place and time)...

Tentative agenda points

1) General announcements

- Dashboard

2) Code rearrangement

- reducing code dependencies -> when?
- renaming class names CBM to Fair

3) Code optimization

- strategy?

4) Physics Performance Studies with PandaRoot (Bertram)

- what is needed?
- how to proceed?
- etc...

5) A.O.B.

- items for next meetings

Hear you then,

Johan!

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2009 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

minutes [message #7688 is a reply to message #7664] Thu, 15 January 2009 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

The minutes have been posted:

http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/Minutes13Jan2009

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL DEVELOPERS:

For a short period, 1-2 days, the subversion repository will be blocked for a code rearrangement with the aim to minimize the internal dependencies (see minutes for more details) This action will be announced at least one day a-head.

It is important that ALL developers commit their recent changes and work to svn before the code will be re-arranged!!!!

The changes of the base class names will take place during this period as well.

Johan.
Re: minutes [message #7689 is a reply to message #7688] Fri, 16 January 2009 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bertram Kopf is currently offline  Bertram Kopf
continuous participant
Dear all,
here are just some remarks to the minutes (topic: Physics Performance Studies with PandaRoot):

- schema migration: It is correct that root provides a tool for schema migration by just increasing the "ClassDef" number. This only works as long as you remove members which are not used anymore in the newer releases. But in case where you add members which afterwards will be used, the application will crash even by increasing the ClassDef number. But as I already mentioned during the meeting schema migration is defenitely not an urgent task. It's just on the wish list and one should - at least - keep it in mind for the future.

-common interface to event generators: I took a look to the documentation of UniGen (http://wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Personalpages/UnitedGenerators). As far as I can see there it's just a package which allows "to convert output of various event generators to a generic root format". If this is correct, this has nothing to do with a common interface. The idea is to setup, configure and run the various generators in the "same" way!

- role of the user: It is clear that a user could also participate in the core development. I just wanted to point out that the software should be written in a way that the user/analyst can concentrate his/her activities on the analysis. The goal should be to write a "user friendly software". This is also a key point in the PAM. And in this sense one should defenitely distinguish between developers and users.

- another point was discussion about the limitation of the number of events per application and in connection to this about the random control. At http://hepunx.rl.ac.uk/BFROOT/dist/releases/newest/RandControl/doc/Rando ms.ps
you can find a nice document about this issue.

Best regards,
Bertram.
Re: minutes [message #7690 is a reply to message #7689] Fri, 16 January 2009 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Hi,
few comments from my side, considering that during the last meeting I was flying and I could not attend.

Bertram Kopf wrote on Fri, 16 January 2009 12:05

- schema migration: It is correct that root provides a tool for schema migration by just increasing the "ClassDef" number. This only works as long as you remove members which are not used anymore in the newer releases. But in case where you add members which afterwards will be used, the application will crash even by increasing the ClassDef number.

I am not so sure about this. I remember, from my HAES experience, that I was able to read old files with new code versions, even if new data members were added and without crashes. Of course, when there are big changes in the compiler or in ROOT then it is not always possible to recover the files, but this does not depend directly from us and it should appear very seldomly.
I will try to do some checks.

Quote:

-common interface to event generators: I took a look to the documentation of UniGen (http://wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Personalpages/UnitedGenerators). As far as I can see there it's just a package which allows "to convert output of various event generators to a generic root format". If this is correct, this has nothing to do with a common interface. The idea is to setup, configure and run the various generators in the "same" way!

I agree with Bertram, Unigen is a common converter and not a common interface.
But I think we have already a common interface inside our code, which is CbmPrimaryGenerator. We give all our interfaces (dericed from CbmGenerator) to the primary generators, thus in theory everything is already inside.
Maybe we could also give it some filter criteria, so that we have a selection at this level. I suppose it is just a matter of writing few lines of code, such as a PndPrimarySelector class, and then we have also the event filter.

Of course opinions and comments are welcome.
Re: minutes [message #7691 is a reply to message #7689] Fri, 16 January 2009 23:22 Go to previous message
first-grade participant

Dear Bertram, Stefano, and the rest...

I made a few changes in the minutes and added the comments made by Bertram and Stefano.

Johan.
Previous Topic: PandaRoot meeting, Tuesday 25th of November, 10:00, EVO
Next Topic: Pandaroot meeting, Tuesday 27th of January, 10:00, EVO
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:32:10 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00955 seconds