GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Alice » Alice TRD chamber construction » Anode Wire Quality
Anode Wire Quality [message #488] Tue, 18 May 2004 16:42 Go to next message
Christian Lippmann is currently offline  Christian Lippmann
occasional visitor
Hi everybody,

since one is only allowed to attach three files the anode wire images are in this topic:

TW015: A bad quality wire. The gold palting has fallen of in places.

TW025: Also not very nice.

TW031: A good wire.

Here are the images. In case you can not view them (under windows) you need to save them to your disk. Then they can be viewed.

• Attachment: TW015-2.TIF
    (Size: 341.72KB, Downloaded 908 times)
  • Attachment: TW025-4.TIF
    (Size: 341.73KB, Downloaded 916 times)
  • Attachment: TW031-4.TIF
    (Size: 341.73KB, Downloaded 949 times)

-------------------------------------
Christian Lippmann
Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung
Planckstr. 1
D-64291 Darmstadt
phone: +49-6159 71 1341
http://www-linux.gsi.de/~lippmann
-------------------------------------

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Anode Wire Quality [message #911 is a reply to message #488] Mon, 13 September 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clemens Adler is currently offline  Clemens Adler
continuous participant
Hello everybody,
Oleg reported that the anode wire is producing a lot of dust during winding on the meteor, much more than to his experience is normal. I looked on our meteor and also found quite some gold dust (see some pictures at http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~adler/TRD/pics/2004_09_10/ ). This amount is from one Anode winding (Andrea cleaned everything before the last winding).
What is the opinon of the experts on this? can it be that this wire is bad quality?

cheers,
Clemens
Re: Anode Wire Quality [message #1261 is a reply to message #488] Tue, 14 December 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Hello everybody,
After Oleg reported some time ago that he feels that the anode wire we're using is producing an surprising amount of gold dust compared to other wire he used. I now heard from Mihai that they discovered that on large portions of the anode wire they are using the gold plating is (partially) missing. I just discussed this with Joerg, but we were both not really sure whether this is a problem. So the question to the experts:
For what is the gold plating needed, except for soldering the wire. And what is the opinion whether anode wire with missing gold plating could be used?
Of course there is still always the question whether gold dust (which as Mihai remarked correctly will also stay on the wire) or gold plating hanging off the wire (which would also be imaginable) would not be nice.

Please respond if you have any experience or opinion. This is becoming a rather urgent issue.
thanks,
Clemens
Re: Anode Wire Quality [message #1290 is a reply to message #1261] Tue, 11 January 2005 16:25 Go to previous message
continuous participant
Hello,
I looked at our anode wire under the electron microscope today. I took a piece of wire before and a piece after winding.

Unfortunately the operator was rather stressed and didn't have a lot of time, so we looked at both pieces simultaneously, i.e. I do not know which one is which.
Since it is only allowed to attach 3 files, I put the pictures under:

http://www.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/~adler/TRD/pics/

1st wire:
Anode1.tif (2000x)
Anode1a.tif (4000x)

2nd wire:
(each also with 2000x and 4000x at 2 differnt places on the wire)
Anode2.tif
Anode3.tif
Anode4.tif
Anode5.tif

Altogether it seems that wire 1 is smoother than the 2nd wire which has those bumps. But I guess it is hard to judge whether this wire was modified by winding, or whether the differences are just becasue its a different piece of wire.

cheers,
Clemens
Previous Topic: Field cage resistor chain location
Next Topic: Absolute gain Measurement L1C1#2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:47:36 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01088 seconds