GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PANDA - Computing » Grid and Infrastructure » Regular PandaRoot Builds
Regular PandaRoot Builds [message #6211] Thu, 03 April 2008 13:43 Go to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
continuous participant

Regular builds on the Grid should in my opinion not be part of the data challenge.
Regular (even nightly) builds could be done by the code developers on a selected number of platforms that would have to coincide with the ones on the grid sites. Matching these is another problem, but
we proposed this wiki to collect this information:
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/viewauth/Computing/PandaRootOnGrid

On the other hand, it would be easy to submit a series of job that would spread to all sites, compile the code, and collect the results in several ways:
- stdout and stderr in a directory in the file catalogue
- email stdout and stderr to the developers
- use MonaLisa to send the info to the repository where it can be aggregated in a table

But there is no need to install tens of versions on all the sites, which would be confusing at least. I would prefer clearly defined, stable grid versions of the sofware, installed twice a year let's say.

Dan

Dr. Dan PROTOPOPESCU
Department of Physics & Astronomy,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Tel/Fax: +44 141 330-5531
Mobile: +44 794 046-3355
Re: Regular PandaRoot Builds [message #6216 is a reply to message #6211] Thu, 03 April 2008 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
continuous participant
Hi Dan,

exactly my point. The build thing is independent of the DC.
Yes of course we would install "stable" software on the Grid. And doing regular builds would rather test the sanity of the Grid sites than the software which should have been tested beforehand locally.
Installing new software every half a year should be fine. But as I know from ALICE this is driven by demand, since if you plan a certain production you often need a certain thing in your framework which will only be finished tomorrow, but certainly not before. And then you need to deploy the latest version of PandaRoot in the latest possible moment or even later.
But even if we do not deploy new versions of software it still makes sense, for my feeling, to test once in a while, if the existing packages are still compiling on the sites, as site test, not as software test.

Cheers,

Kilian

PS: are you sure that someone else except us is reading this ? So far there have been no postings from nobody Sad
Re: Regular PandaRoot Builds [message #6222 is a reply to message #6216] Fri, 04 April 2008 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

I am reading it...

Johan.

Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003
Re: Regular PandaRoot Builds [message #6223 is a reply to message #6222] Fri, 04 April 2008 09:39 Go to previous message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
continuous participant
Hi Johan,

That is good to know Smile
that at least someone reads what we produce here Smile

Cheers,

Kilian
Previous Topic: Data Challenge (DC)
Next Topic: Signatures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:53:39 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01301 seconds