GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » Bugs, Fixes, Releases » Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen
Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6442] Wed, 16 April 2008 11:11 Go to next message
Ralf Kliemt is currently offline  Ralf Kliemt
first-grade participant

Hi all,

The dashboard website is offline....

I have problems with compiling DpmEvtGen. I get many warnings like
 In file /home/ralfk/Pandaroot/Dart-src/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/init.f:619

*8HXU++GA  ,8HXD+GAM  ,8HXS+GAM  ,8HA+AKPI  ,8HT02PI+  ,8HC1++2K  ,
Warning: Extension: Conversion from HOLLERITH to REAL(8) at (1)

And then at the end there is probably the serious message:
/home/ralfk/Pandaroot/Dart-src/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/main.cc:26: warning: non-local variable ‘<anonymous struct> lujets_’ uses anonymous type
Linking CXX executable DPMGen
CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen_exe.dir/main.o: In function `main':
/home/ralfk/Pandaroot/Dart-src/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/main.cc:112: undefined reference to `dpm_gen__'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

My Workaround: I keep the pandaroot/pgenerators directory and pandaroot/CMakesLists.txt before rev.2525.

Kind regards, Ralf.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 April 2008 11:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6443 is a reply to message #6442] Wed, 16 April 2008 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

This morning I had the same error, I went back to release 2524.
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6445 is a reply to message #6442] Wed, 16 April 2008 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Uhlig is currently offline  Florian Uhlig
first-grade participant
Hi Ralf

The warnings you can forget about.

The problem about the "undefined reference to `dpm_gen__'"
i know from Mac OS X.
Which compiler do you use on your computer g77 or gfortran?

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6446 is a reply to message #6445] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Quote:

The warnings you can forget about.

Well, when I compile DPM "stand-alone" I have only one warning message.

Quote:

The problem about the "undefined reference to `dpm_gen__'"
i know from Mac OS X.
Which compiler do you use on your computer g77 or gfortran?

In my system I have both g77 and gfortran. In general, when I compile DPM "stand-alone", it uses g77. Now I don't know which compiler is it taking.

Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6448 is a reply to message #6446] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stafano

I thought the problem is related to Mac OS X, but now it looks more like a problem with gfortran.
Can you try to compile the standalone version with gfortran.

I am nearly shure that you will see all the warnings and you will
crash in the end.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6450 is a reply to message #6448] Wed, 16 April 2008 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

You are right,
I have changed the file common.mk using "gfortran" instead of "g77" and I have the same behaviour.

Maybe with cmake we should fix that only "g77" is used, if present.
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6452 is a reply to message #6450] Wed, 16 April 2008 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Ralf, hi Stefano

I think i solved the problem. For me it compiles now with g77 and gfortran. Please update to rev 2540 and try again.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6482 is a reply to message #6452] Wed, 16 April 2008 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Hi Florian,
now with the make it compiles (even with the gfortran warnings), but at the "make install" I have the following error:

Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "Debug"
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libBase.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libGeoBase.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libParBase.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libMCStack.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libPassive.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libField.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libGen.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/lib/libPGen.so.0.0.0
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/spataro/dev/cmar08/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/cmake_install.cmake:30:
FILE INSTALL cannot find file " /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/CMakeRelink.di r/libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0 " to install.
Current CMake stack: /home/spataro/dev/cmar08/cmake_install.cmake;/home/spataro/dev/cmar08/pg enerators/DpmEvtGen/cmake_install.cmake
make: *** [install] Error 255
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6484 is a reply to message #6482] Thu, 17 April 2008 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano

I can not confirm this problem. Did you start with a clean
DpmEvtGen directory? If not please try it with a clean one.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6490 is a reply to message #6484] Thu, 17 April 2008 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Hi,
I have removed everything (rm -rf pandaroot/ cbuild/) and restarted from the checkout, and I have still the same error message after the "make install" (the simple "make" gives only the warning):

Toggle Spoiler

Then I went into the directory pgenerators/DpmEvtGen, did a "make" there (just to be sure) and I went back to my cbuild directory. I have the same error message.

Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6492 is a reply to message #6490] Thu, 17 April 2008 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano

Can you check that the library exist in

/home/spataro/test/cbuild/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0

and

/home/spataro/test/cbuild/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/CMakeRelink.d ir/libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6493 is a reply to message #6492] Thu, 17 April 2008 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Hi,
I have only libDpmEvtGen.so, no libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6501 is a reply to message #6493] Thu, 17 April 2008 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano

Can you please check if your CMakeLists.txt in the main directory is up to date and if the CBM_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES is set correctly.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6502 is a reply to message #6501] Thu, 17 April 2008 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

I repeat,
I have checked out the code entirely from svn and recompiled pandaroot from scratch. So my CMakeLists.txt is the most updated.

I did a: "grep -r CBM_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES *" but I did not find this string in the whole pandaroot and cbuild directory.
Where should it be set?
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6505 is a reply to message #6502] Thu, 17 April 2008 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano

Her i wonder. I looked into my CMakLists.txt and there are the following lines

# Set the library version in the main CMakeLists.txt
SET(CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_MINOR_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_PATCH_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_VERSION "${CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION}.${CBMROOT_MINOR_VERSION}.${CBMROO
SET(CBMROOT_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES ${CBMROOT_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES}
VERSION "${CBMROOT_VERSION}"
SOVERSION "${CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION}"
SUFFIX ".so"
)

which came in with revision 890 from 06/14/07.

Can you check again??

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6508 is a reply to message #6505] Thu, 17 April 2008 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Ah ok,
it was CBMROOT_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES, not CBM_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES. This I have:

# Set the library version in the main CMakeLists.txt
SET(CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_MINOR_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_PATCH_VERSION 0)
SET(CBMROOT_VERSION " ${CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION}.${CBMROOT_MINOR_VERSION}.${CBMROOT_PATCH_VERSIO N} ")
SET(CBMROOT_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES ${CBMROOT_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES}
VERSION "${CBMROOT_VERSION}"
SOVERSION "${CBMROOT_MAJOR_VERSION}"
SUFFIX ".so"
)
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6538 is a reply to message #6508] Mon, 21 April 2008 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

Ahem,
I have still this problem, what should I do?
Copy the so.0.0.0 from GSI to Gießen?
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6541 is a reply to message #6538] Mon, 21 April 2008 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano

How did you do the installation? Did you only use CMake or
did you use somehow the Makefile in DpmEvtGen?
I cannot reproduce your problem on any of my machines so it's
hard to come up with a good answer.

What you can do as workaround is to exclude DpmEvtGen from the
list of directories and to copy the library to the lib directory.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6547 is a reply to message #6541] Mon, 21 April 2008 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant

I have tried to "make" with and without compilation of pgenerators/DpmEvtGen, but without any succes.

I have bypassed the problem with a simple trick:

spataro@cca04 /home/spataro/test/cbuild/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/CMakeRelink.d ir $ mv libDpmEvtGen.so libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0

In this case the make install works (hopefully even the code).
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6604 is a reply to message #6547] Fri, 25 April 2008 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aleksandra Biegun is currently offline  Aleksandra Biegun
continuous participant
Hi,

I have the same problem like Stefano, that I do not have libGen.so.0.0.0, only I have libGen.so

-- Installing /home/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/lib/libGen.so.0.0.0
-- Installing /home/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/lib/libPGen.so.0.0.0
CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
/home/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/c make_install.cmake:30:
FILE INSTALL cannot find file " /home/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/C MakeFiles/CMakeRelink.dir/libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0 " to install.
Current CMake stack: /home/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/cmake_install.cmake;/ho me/biegun/PANDA/fair/pandaroot.dart/buildDart/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/cmak e_install.cmake

when I changed the name of the library libDpmEvtGen.so into libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0 (like Stefano did) instalation of libraries finished succesfully.

After that, I run Dashboard script Dart.sh Experimental , and if someone could look at it there is 2 times kviq41.kvi.nl - one seems to be ok, but the second one looks 'empty' (no time, no tests passed). This 'empty' case is also for Nightly run of Dart.sh script.
Because pandaroot does not compiled automaticly for me (actually it compiles, library are linked but the error is during intallation of libraries) and I had to change by hand name of the libDpmEvtGen.so into libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0 library, I thought that maybe the 'empty' case for my computer at Dasgboard (kviq41.kvi.nl) appeared.

Am I right or it's something else?

Is there any solution for installing libDpmEvtGen.so.0.0.0 automatically?

Cheers,
Ola.

Aleksandra Biegun
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25, 9747 AA Groningen
tel. +31 50 363 3630
fax. +31 50 363 4003
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6623 is a reply to message #6604] Mon, 28 April 2008 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi

With help of Stefano, allowing me to play with his computer, i found the problem.
His version of cmake (2.4.3.) was to old. The support for Fortran in cmake is rather new and there were many changes is recent versions. It look like the support for
library versioning was introduced after camke 2.4.3.
The solution of the problem is to update your cmake to a newer version. The latest release is 2.4.8 which works without any problems. Also cmake 2.4.7 is fine. If other versions between 2.4.3 and 2.4.7 works i cannot test.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6625 is a reply to message #6623] Tue, 29 April 2008 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aleksandra Biegun is currently offline  Aleksandra Biegun
continuous participant
Hi Florian!

Thanks a lot for that message.

I had cmake version 2.4.3. and now, from the latest external package from 14.03.08 (fairsoft) I have 2.4.7 (not 2.4.8 as you claim)

http://fairroot.gsi.de/installation/External%20Packages.htm

Anyway, it seems to work, let's see tomorrow.

Ciao,
Ola.

Aleksandra Biegun
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25, 9747 AA Groningen
tel. +31 50 363 3630
fax. +31 50 363 4003
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6629 is a reply to message #6442] Tue, 29 April 2008 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias Stockmanns is currently offline  Tobias Stockmanns
first-grade participant
Hi PandaRooters,

I have the same problems with compiling DPMGen as Ralf after I have updated to the latest revision 2619. Before I have installed cmake 2.4.8.

Here comes the error message:

Scanning dependencies of target DpmEvtGen
[ 21%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/common.o
[ 21%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/decay.o
[ 21%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/dpm_gen.o
ifort: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-fsecond-underscore'
[ 21%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/init.o
[ 22%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/rndmget.o
[ 22%] Building Fortran object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen.dir/string.o
Linking Fortran shared library libDpmEvtGen.so
[ 22%] Built target DpmEvtGen
Scanning dependencies of target DpmEvtGen_exe
[ 22%] Building CXX object pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen_exe.dir/main.o
/home/stockman/fairroot/cbmsoft/pandaroot/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/main.cc: 26: warning: non-local variable '<anonymous struct> lujets_' uses anonymous type
Linking CXX executable DPMGen
CMakeFiles/DpmEvtGen_exe.dir/main.o: In function `main':
/home/stockman/fairroot/cbmsoft/pandaroot/pgenerators/DpmEvtGen/main.cc: 104: undefined reference to `dpm_gen__'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I hope somebody can help me solving this problem.

Cheers,

Tobias
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6635 is a reply to message #6625] Tue, 29 April 2008 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Tobias

As i can see you're using ifort. There the problem comes in, because ifort don't know the flag -fsecond-underscore. Somehow different compilers (g77, gfortran) somehow create different names in the library dpm_gen_ vs. dpm_gen__ . For g77 and gfortran this can be adjusted with the above flag.
I have to look for the right flag and change the CMakeLists.txt.
I assume ifort creates dpm_gen_ which you can check with

nm libDpmEvtGen.so | grep dpm_gen

I will look for that problem if i can connect again to GSI.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6645 is a reply to message #6629] Wed, 30 April 2008 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Poster From: *ikp.kfa-juelich.de
Hello everybody!

I solved the problem with the DpmEvtGen compilation just by removing the second underscore at the end of the dpm_gen_ function name in the main.cc file. After that it compiles and links without problems. I am wonder why do we need this second underscore at all?

Andrey
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6646 is a reply to message #6645] Wed, 30 April 2008 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Andrey

Because some other compiler decorate it with a second underscore.
So the name in the library is compiler specific. So your change will not work with another compiler.
To overcome this the CMakeLists.txt was changed and up to now it worked with all compilers i tested. There is still a change i have to commit which is needed if you use ifort, but beside of that it works with all tested compilers. I commited
this one minute ago
Which compiler do you use? Please test if this CMakeLists.txt works for you. If not please let me know.

Ciao

Florian
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6647 is a reply to message #6646] Wed, 30 April 2008 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Poster From: *ikp.kfa-juelich.de
Hi Florian,

it still doesn't work.

Best regards,

Andrey
Re: Compilation problems with DpmEvtGen [message #6648 is a reply to message #6647] Wed, 30 April 2008 16:13 Go to previous message
first-grade participant
Hi Andrey

Thanks for your help, but with this error message i can't do anything.

Ciao

Florian

Previous Topic: GEANT3 dEdx for low energy protons
Next Topic: include bug in tpc dedx
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:07:25 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01289 seconds