GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PANDA - Computing » Grid and Infrastructure » Upcoming DC
Upcoming DC [message #6203] Wed, 02 April 2008 22:01 Go to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Hi all,

Let me start a forum discussion concerning the data production test on the Grid. From the email correspondences, I would conclude the following (please correct me if I am wrong):

* Suggestion by Kilian to have REGULAR production tests on the GRID is welcomed (test performances, stability, capacity, monitoring tools, etc etc).

* Proposal is to have it at least twice per year, preferably connected to a Grid workshop.

* Kick-off of such DS now! Don't wait for something better to come.

Now the critical issue: which jobs? My proposal:

1) the default QA macros as used in the nightly tests (Dashboard). At the moment there is not a lot of them, but certainly this will be extended during course of time. Actually, these macros are meant as rigorous tests (simulation, reconstruction, analysis) of the framework, e.g. why not exploit these macros on the Grid sites as well. It would also garuantee that the software developments are tested in synchronization with the Grid infrastructure. There will also be a "master" macro which calls the individual QA macros. All these macros will be part of the PandaRoot software.

2) software compilation and building. As we already discussed via email, the preference for the moment is to employ the PandaRoot software via a friendly installation script. Mohammad and Florian are already doing excellent work on this front and working hard on making the script as grid-friendly as possible. A regular compilation and building on all the sites would reveal missing configuration issues, but would also give regular feedback to Mohammad and Florian. One should realize that sites might also change their installation during course of time, which would lead to crashing jobs for which the problem is difficult to trace back. A regular compilation test would help to identify and accomodate for these kind of changes.

.... what else?

Johan.


Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003

[Updated on: Thu, 03 April 2008 00:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6204 is a reply to message #6203] Thu, 03 April 2008 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *gsi.de
I support the idea to run the QA macros on the Grid. Also to start the DC#1 now. Do we take the dates suggested by Dan ?
He suggests to start on April 17 and run for 3 days.
Also the one with the regular builds on Grid sites with feedback to the developers is a good idea, I think.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Data Challenge [message #6208 is a reply to message #6204] Thu, 03 April 2008 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Dear all,

I would like to thank everybody for participating in this discussion. There are several that showed up and I will address herein:

1) Dates of the DCs
2) Nightly builds on Grid
3) Proposed test jobs/macros
4) Storage of the outputs

Here below is my opinion on these issues. Please use the forum to reply so that we have an organized thread. If you have no access, register or ask someone else to post for you.

1) The Grid Data Challenges will happen at dates to be decided independently and to ensure this objectivity I propose that the dates be set by our Production Manager (PM), Paul Buehler, after some consultation with both the Grid Coordinator (Dan) and Software Development Coordinator (Johan). The next date is April 17 (no changes accepted) but after that I hope the proposed PM scheme will be applied.

2) One of the major points to be understood about Grid is that it is not a testbench. It is a "massive computations infrastructure", designed for large-scale, stadardized jobs. Although nightly builds on several platforms is an extremely useful tool for developers to spot early compilation problems, it would be a misuse of the grid. The software installed on the grid is supposed to be a stable version, which has been tested already on the platforms existent on the grid sites. Testing and feedback would happen at installation time. Florian explained this issue better than me.

3) The basic plan for the next data challenge is to count jobs and produce statistics like job success rate, job site distribution, time per 1000 jobs. I propose the tests to done both with a generic job and a PandaRoot job in order to decouple the various requirements. Having a macro that simulates some tracks in the EMC or producing some real physics is almost irrelevant for this data challenge. However, I enthusistically embrace the idea of running some physics from which someone can collect, verify the results and gain an extra benefit. If you have such macro, let's use it!
My initial plan is this:
- 10x100 subjobs generic (site availability)
- 1x1000 subjobs generic (broker optimization)
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #2
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1 or #2 with all output to Glasgow SE
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1 or #2 with output to local SEs
Please feel free to add to this list and let's discuss the benefits of these tests.
Package testing can not be part of the data challenge because of time constraints. A check of the software installation is part of the preparations taken individually by the site admins.

4) The outputs of the DC test jobs will go physically to local and central SEs and that is part of the challenge. In the file catalogue, the output can be collected as you see fit, in case you would like to use the results later.

Cheers,
Dan


Dr. Dan PROTOPOPESCU
Department of Physics & Astronomy,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow, G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK
Tel/Fax: +44 141 330-5531
Mobile: +44 794 046-3355
Re: Data Challenge [message #6210 is a reply to message #6208] Thu, 03 April 2008 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *gsi.de
Hi Dan,

concerning point 2):
the idea was not to use Grid as a test bench. We know very well that software which has been carefully tested locally on various platforms still fails in compiling on various sites simply because something changed there or something is missing or wrong. Therefore such a regular build would not be a test of the software of which we know that it should compile but rather a test of the sanity of the various sites. And from this point of view for my feeling it would make sense.
Also it would give us the certainty that at least the software packages are available and running on the sites. We will have enough other problems during the upcoming DCs.

1) ok

3) ok, but if possible let us try to include some reasonable and meaningful PandaRoot macros if we have. Either the QA or the suggested fast sim macros or both.
SEs: how much output do we expect alltogether and how much storage capacity do we have in the Grid and at the sites ?

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Data Challenge [message #6212 is a reply to message #6210] Thu, 03 April 2008 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
I suggest to move the 'Regular Builds' issue on a different thread, because it should not be connected to the upcoming DC:
http://forum.gsi.de/index.php?t=tree&th=1824&start=0&rid=104 6&S=7da716fd1afe83d0620759523c2e93a7

About your question on how much output do we expect from the test jobs, do you expect me to know that before we even decided what macro to run ? My name is Protopopescu, not Nostradamus. Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 03 April 2008 13:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data Challenge [message #6215 is a reply to message #6212] Thu, 03 April 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *gsi.de
Hi Nostradamus,

I did not expect you to know the answer. I just wanted to make aware that we have to be aware of the storage capacity we have and we have to have a plan at least concerning how much we need.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6231 is a reply to message #6203] Fri, 04 April 2008 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Is there a new version of the software that you would like distributed and installed prior to the next DC ? Software compilation testing can
not be part of the DC itself because it is a asyncronous process and would take too long (at least for the upcoming DC).

Let us also talk about the macros you would like to propose for the upcoming DC and what data would you like to keep and where.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6235 is a reply to message #6231] Fri, 04 April 2008 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Buehler is currently offline  Paul Buehler
Messages: 11
Registered: October 2007
occasional visitor
From: *smi.oeaw.ac.at
Dear all,

For this first DC I think the programs do not need to produce meaningful data. This will certainly come in the following DCs. What could be interesting is to have a script which allows to specify how long a program will be running on a site and how many bytes of output it will produce.

With such a program we could make different specific tests, like

submit a large amount of short lasting jobs to test how many of them are successfully finished or fewer jobs producing huge data files to test more specifically the data transfer capabilities, or ...

Preferably this program is a PANDARoot application but not necessarily.

Any comments on that?

Regards,

Paul

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6236 is a reply to message #6235] Fri, 04 April 2008 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *KVI.nl
Hi,

This weekend, I will look into a few macros which would be useful to test the computing capacity and data transfer. I will try to be creative. Florian, would you have time to install the new fairsoft stuff on the Grid via Packman?

I would really insist on testing the system using pandaroot applications. I think this is also important from a political point of view, since it would show that the software and the computing infrastructure are developed hand-in-hand. We should certainly avoid a situation in which the software is not compatible with the infrastructure (or the other way around). I agree, in principle this should not happen, but in reality it can, as we have seen with the old framework.

Kind wishes,

Johan.


Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003
icon3.gif  Re: Upcoming DC [message #6237 is a reply to message #6236] Fri, 04 April 2008 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
We could have both: a generic job as well as PandaRoot macros producing meaningful data. This way we can practically decouple these components for the evaluation stage. I would encourage further discussions about both options.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6238 is a reply to message #6237] Fri, 04 April 2008 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Hi,

Can we have a short EVO meeting to discuss the preparations for the DC?

Johan.


Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6239 is a reply to message #6238] Fri, 04 April 2008 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Wouldn't the forum be preferable because then we have a written plan of action ? There is not too much actually, is it ?
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6240 is a reply to message #6239] Fri, 04 April 2008 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Hi Dan,

I certainly wouldn't mind to stick to the forum. But is it clear, who is preparing what?

Johan.


Johan Messchendorp
University of Groningen/KVI
Zernikelaan 25
NL-9747 AA Groningen
The Netherlands
tel. +31-503633558
fax +31-503634003
Re: Data Challenge [message #6241 is a reply to message #6215] Fri, 04 April 2008 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Maybe we should turn the question around: how much data do we want to produce for the DC? We can easily tune the macros for that (i.e. decide on how many events to throw for example)

[Updated on: Fri, 04 April 2008 16:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6245 is a reply to message #6203] Fri, 04 April 2008 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
My initial plan as outlined earlier would be this:
- 10x100 subjobs generic (site availability)
- 1x1000 subjobs generic (job broker evaluation)
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #2
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1 or #2 with all output to Glasgow SE
- 1x1000 PandaROOT macro #1 or #2 with output to local SEs
Package testing not be part of the data challenge because of time constraints.

I think the first two list items coincide with what Paul proposed but we should refine our choice of 'generic' jobs.

Could Johan and Soeren decide on the two macros ? Let's say one on detector simualtions and one conatining physics. We already tested the fast simulations macro (Johan), and Soeren proposed including some rho analysis.

Please feel free to add to the above list and we'll decide next week on the final set.

What do you think about such a start ?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 April 2008 17:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6247 is a reply to message #6245] Fri, 04 April 2008 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
No problem. Soeren, do you have any preference concerning the physics channel we should run? Here would be my suggestion: we could run for instance eta_c channel to multi-photon channels using fast simulations and rho, and run at the same time a full MC simulation with the same eventgenerator output to make a benchmark/validation for the fast simulations (G3 versus G4 versus fast simulations). Alternatively (or in addition), we could consider to run a channel with many charged pions in combination with conformal mapping code (MVD+TPC).

Johan.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 April 2008 17:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6248 is a reply to message #6203] Fri, 04 April 2008 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
I created a wiki to list the things to do, and where we can attach macros, JDLs and later tables and figures with the results:
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/viewauth/Computing/DataChallenge1
What do you think ?
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6249 is a reply to message #6248] Sat, 05 April 2008 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *dip0.t-ipconnect.de
Hi Dan,

nicely done. Now we only have to fill it with live.
Should we put there the fast sim macros ?
This would have the advantage that we would also exercise the CERNlib package installed by Johan. At least if we produced everything on the sites.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Data Challenge [message #6250 is a reply to message #6241] Sat, 05 April 2008 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *dip0.t-ipconnect.de
yes, this is a good one. Not only the number of jobs but also the amount of produced data is an important parameter

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6251 is a reply to message #6238] Sat, 05 April 2008 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *dip0.t-ipconnect.de
yes, of course. When ?

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6253 is a reply to message #6203] Sun, 06 April 2008 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Sören Lange is currently offline  Jens Sören Lange
Messages: 193
Registered: June 2005
first-grade participant
From: *web.vodafone.de
Hi all,

Stefano and I thought a bit again about the question,
which macros to use.

And the key question is:

************************************************************
which are our most time-consuming steps in the simu or reco?
************************************************************

And, actually, here the fast sim is the smallest problem,
because - obviously - it is fast by definition. So I changed my opinion a bit.

Therefore I would like to propose three different macro groups
(in other words, our "bottlenecks")

1.) dpm
2.) UrQMD
3.) tpc reco and stt reco
(maybe - if we keep the DC data somewhere - we could actually use it for the long-planned tpc/stt comparison?)

So, concerning 1.)

macro/run/run_sim1.C
with all detectors switched on
and then change the generator to DPM, see
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/Dpm
-> "Simulation inside PandaRoot"
and then generate billions of events

Note: unfortunately I don't know anymore how to set the beam energy in
DPM. I have to ask Stefano tomorrow.

So, concerning 2.)

macro/run/run_sim1.C
with all detectors switched on
and then change the generator to UrQMD, see
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/UrqmdSmm
here the heavy targets (Au, Pb) are most useful,
because most time-consuming.
anti-proton beam momenta 3.00 and 4.05 GeV
(these are needed for the J/Psi-in-nucleus measurement).
Actually, the GRID would be very useful here to generate as many events as possible!

So, concerning 3.)

macro/tpc/tutorial
runMC.C runDigi.C runReco.C
the svn version of these macros have some difficulties right now
(I just tried again and I have e.g. undefined symbol GeaneTrackRep),
see also
http://forum.gsi.de/index.php?t=msg&th=1802&rid=0&S=dfa54395 2d09c2dca876d4fb1bde7c98#msg_6124
e.g. one has to comment out "UseGeane()".
I hope that we can fix it until the DC
(I know that Dipak has a version which works).

macro/stt
run.C rundigi.C runreco.C
they work fine.

Here I would propose just to use the box generator
for muons with
pT=30,40,50,...100 MeV/c
pT=100,200,300,...,1000 MeV/c
pT=1,2,3,...,7.5 GeV/c
and uniform polar angle.
(the highest point at 7.5 GeV/c is for the Drell-Yan measurement).

What do you think?

cheers, Soeren

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6261 is a reply to message #6253] Mon, 07 April 2008 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
I am very glad to see that we have interesting stuff to run. And yes, we can run all these macros. I propose that we prepare as follows:
1) make sure the macros run (on your desktop) -> Soeren, Stefano ?
2) make sure we have the latest software tarballs (including all the updated software) -> Florian, Johan, Mohammad ? + all SA
3) make an estimate of the number of jobs/events you wish to run -> Soeren ?

With regard to (2), we will need the support of all site admins (SA), to install and check the installation of the new package version once it is made available. We have to keep in touch.

The location where the output goes is set in the JDL: what to keep, where to register it, where to save it physically.

The macros themselves can be updated in the last moment, then added to the alien catalogue etc.

The related wiki topic is: http://nuclear.gla.ac.uk/twiki/bin/view.pl/Main/SubmitExample.

Please document your contributions to the upcoming DC in: http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/viewauth/Computing/DataChallenge1

[Updated on: Mon, 07 April 2008 12:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6271 is a reply to message #6253] Mon, 07 April 2008 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *KVI.nl
Hi Soeren,

Actually, how many UrQMD events do we have on disk? I had the impression from Alicia that the available statistics is very poor, right? The question is whether one could run the event generator on the Grid machines to produce more data.

Kind wishes,


Johan.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6272 is a reply to message #6271] Mon, 07 April 2008 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asanchez is currently offline  asanchez
Messages: 350
Registered: March 2006
first-grade participant
From: *kph.uni-mainz.de
Hi Johan
Aida has created more urqmd+smm files
simply take a look into /panda02/urqmd_smm
but these results are not related with pure urqmd
she has added one file more for each energy.

best regrads
Alicia
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6273 is a reply to message #6272] Mon, 07 April 2008 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *KVI.nl
Hi Alicia,

Ok! Do you know roughly how many events in total there are?

Johan.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6274 is a reply to message #6273] Mon, 07 April 2008 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asanchez is currently offline  asanchez
Messages: 350
Registered: March 2006
first-grade participant
From: *kph.uni-mainz.de
HI
So far i remember
she did one million.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6275 is a reply to message #6273] Mon, 07 April 2008 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asanchez is currently offline  asanchez
Messages: 350
Registered: March 2006
first-grade participant
From: *kph.uni-mainz.de
Hi here i posted

the Aida's email

so good luck

cheers
ALicia.

Hi all, hi Alicia,

I have calculated 1 million Events
of pbar-C12 interactions at 3 GeV/c momentum using Urqmd_SMM
generator.

The calculations are disposed at lxi00X.gsi.de cluster
in directory /d/panda02/urqmd_smm/pbarC_3GeV
in 10 files: pbarC_1.root, pbarC_2.root ... pbarC_10.root .
Each file contains 100000 Events of pbar-C Events.

Good luck,
Aida
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6276 is a reply to message #6275] Mon, 07 April 2008 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *KVI.nl
Thanks Alicia,

Actually, do you need more statistics for your analysis? Such a DC, might be useful for that....


Johan.
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6279 is a reply to message #6203] Mon, 07 April 2008 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Sören Lange is currently offline  Jens Sören Lange
Messages: 193
Registered: June 2005
first-grade participant
From: *physik.uni-giessen.de
Hi Dan and all

... what is the deadline for the macros?

(unfortunately semester started last week which means the days are already almost filled even without Panda ...)

Soeren
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6280 is a reply to message #6279] Mon, 07 April 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
During the DC, we will basically run what will be provided to us by April 15, plus some generic benchmark jobs.

Of course, if you have some physics to run, it can be run outside the DC. The Grid is available in general and everyone is welcome! Smile
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6281 is a reply to message #6280] Mon, 07 April 2008 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Sören Lange is currently offline  Jens Sören Lange
Messages: 193
Registered: June 2005
first-grade participant
From: *physik.uni-giessen.de
Hi Dan,

OK it means we got a few more days.

The point is:

Stefano just showed me that there is a chance (he even has a running macro already) to have running tpc sim and tpc digi+reco up to clustering (and probably mvd digi+reco, but here he still needs some help from Ralf or Tobias) entering into lhetrack and maybe even riemannfit (that means we would have digis and even tracks in the data!) and that for many different values for pT. I don't have to say that this would be a jackpot. However, it needs some more days. And: no promises. It could be that in the end it is not running and we have to stop at the tpc clusters (but anyway, that data set would be great - usually I ran tpc clustering for 1,000 tracks in 3-4 hours).

The bad news:

we found that it is (so far) not possible to run dpm or UrQMD from a macro (only read the data files from a macro).

Anyway, we need help in figuring out how we change parameters in the macros (e.g. changing the pT) from outside when you submit the job ...

cheers, Soeren






Re: Upcoming DC [message #6283 is a reply to message #6281] Mon, 07 April 2008 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *KVI.nl
Hi all,

To run DPM is not so difficult, since we anyway run from a (bash) script. The jdl scripts can take arguments, which can be passed to the shell scripts. Actually, last time we run the DPM generator in combination with fast simulations.

Just make sure that also the macros use input parameters (random number see, input filename, outputfilename, energy,..), then it is very trivial (see example below).

(ps, we might have to think a little bit more about the random number seed. I am not sure whether one can take any number for that)


Johan

-- example shell scripts called by JDL --

#!/bin/bash
#
# $1 unique number for seed
# $2 momentum
# $3 number of events
#
#
echo "This is the fast simulation test production"
echo "provided by Johan Messchendorp"

echo "Starting the job"

export RANSEED=`expr 1202677345 + $1`

cat <<EOF >input.$1
$RANSEED
$2
1
$3
EOF

cat input.$1
DPMGen < input.$1

root -b -q "simfast_jgm.C(\"Background-micro.root\",0,$3,\"simfast_jgm.root\")" ||
exit 11
echo "----------------------------------------------------------------------- "
echo "From wrapper script: job finished successfully"

[Updated on: Mon, 07 April 2008 20:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6285 is a reply to message #6203] Mon, 07 April 2008 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Dear all,

I installed on the Grid (which means via PackMan)

pandaroot rev2432 (7/4/08)
dpmgen rev2432 (which means derived and build from the pandaroot rev2432)

against

cbmsoft 16/01/08 (geant4.9.1, geant4_vmc_r331, geant3.1.9, vgm 3.00, root5.18, pluto412, pythia6, clhep2.0.3_1).

If we want to run Geant4 simulations in the DC, it is probably advisable to upgrade as well the cbmsoft release to the most recent one of march'08. Otherwise, I would say, lets stick to this for the upcoming DC event, since cbmsoft_r16/01/08 already compiled successfully on many/most of the sites. Please note, that I only compiled the above pandaroot-related packages on the KVI site. I expect, however, no problems in the compilation of PandaRoot on the other sites. But that I leave up to the site administrators to test:

packman install pandaroot::rev2432
packman install dpmgen::rev2432

(probably, "packman install dpmgen::rev2432" will do the job since it depends on pandaroot)

After installation, one can test it by (existing scripts from last runs)
(dpmgen, 5.5 GeV/c, 10x1000 events, in combi with fsim)

submit /panda/user/p/pbarprod/jdl/simfast_jgm.jdl 999 5.5 1000

with the output written to

/panda/user/p/pbarprod/jgm/fast/run999/1-10

Johan.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 April 2008 23:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6300 is a reply to message #6203] Tue, 08 April 2008 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *gsi.de
I installed all packages at GSI and they seem to work.
Testjob worked, too.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6304 is a reply to message #6285] Tue, 08 April 2008 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Thank you very much, Johan, for installing and testing the packages. I will test them on my sites too.
I started a filling the table in:
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/DataChallenge1#Packages
Cheers. Dan
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6305 is a reply to message #6300] Tue, 08 April 2008 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Thank you very much, Kilian, for testing the packages at GSI.
I started a filling the table in (you might want to take a look):
http://panda-wiki.gsi.de/cgi-bin/view/Computing/DataChallenge1#Packages
Cheers. Dan
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6307 is a reply to message #6304] Wed, 09 April 2008 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
Messages: 693
Registered: April 2007
Location: University of Groningen
first-grade participant

From: *xs4all.nl
Dear Dan and others,

This afternoon (oeps, looking at the clock meanwhile yesterday), we (Soeren, Mohammad, Kilian, and me) discussed briefly after computing model meeting about what to get ready for the DC. Below you find some of the points discussed. The "software" deadline is at the end of the week (i.e. software should be ready on the Grid during the weekend)

1) we will install the new external packages with the "grid" compilation option (should also be more G4 friendly and installation friendlier)

2) we will also put the latest pandaroot release, since there are some new updates from the detector people which might be useful to have for the DC

3) hopefully the macros will be ready at the end of week. I will make the corresponding scripts for the Grid production. We will make as well an estimate on the datasize needed.

4) not yet clear whether we will have the UrQMD eventgenerator available for the DC. We have to see on this. Anyway, email exchanges with Adai and Vladimir are ongoing.

Did I forget anything important?


Johan.

Re: Upcoming DC [message #6308 is a reply to message #6307] Wed, 09 April 2008 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kilian Schwarz is currently offline  Kilian Schwarz
Messages: 91
Registered: June 2004
Location: GSI, Darmstadt
continuous participant
From: *gsi.de
Hi Johan,

yes:
- Soeren will check the output generated by the various macros and make a stastistic estimate and based on that a guess how many data we would produce altogether during the DC
- Dan can compare that with the various storage capacities we have and ring the alarm bell if this should not be sufficient
- I will try to find more SE capacities at GSI for Panda. CPU capacities will be more than enough, I guess.

Cheers,

Kilian
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6322 is a reply to message #6308] Wed, 09 April 2008 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Sören Lange is currently offline  Jens Sören Lange
Messages: 193
Registered: June 2005
first-grade participant
From: *physik.uni-giessen.de
Hi all,

the stt and tpc macros for the DC are now checked in.

pandaroot/macro/dc1

NOTE that infile and outfile are still fixed in the macros.

stt
===

root -b runsim.C"(nEvents,pT)"
root -b rundigi.C
root -b runreco.C

params 1175k+11.7k/event (params really seem to be run dependand)
sim 240k+6.5k/event
digi 10k+10.6k/event
reco 0.3k+0.2k/event

differences to usual svn macros:

o field maps instead of constant field
o nEvents and pT are option parsed in sim
o nEvents is zero (=read all) in digi and reco

Proposal:
pT=30,40,50,...100 MeV/c
pT=100,200,300,...,1000 MeV/c
pT=1,2,3,...,7.5 GeV/c
10,000,000 events each

tpc
===

we will use Stefano's new macros

root -b run_sim_tpcmvd.C"(nEvents,pT)"
root -b run_rectrack_tpcmvd.C

params 43k (params seem to be fixed)
sim 46k+17.4k/event
digi+reco zero kB+39.2k/event

differences to usual svn macros:

o nEvents and pT are option parsed in sim

Proposal:
pT=30,40,50,...100 MeV/c
pT=100,200,300,...,1000 MeV/c
pT=1,2,3,...,7.5 GeV/c
10,000,000 events each

dpm
===

not macros, but here Johan's bash scripts will be used.

however, for Kilian's calculation of disk space:

250 bytes/event


nEvents and beam momenta for dpm will be proposed tomorrow.


cheers, Soeren
Re: Upcoming DC [message #6323 is a reply to message #6307] Wed, 09 April 2008 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dan Protopopescu is currently offline  Dan Protopopescu
Messages: 55
Registered: September 2007
Location: Glasgow, UK
continuous participant

From: *physics.gla.ac.uk
Dear Johan, Kilian and all,

Thank you for all the work put into this. The outputs that we want to keep for later analysis could be directed to one of big SE (I have at least 1T in Glasgow).

We should not worry about the CPU resources; one of the goals of this DC is to see how much is actually available. It will depend a lot on the site admins and the way they allocate resources.

I understand that everyone should wait until Monday to install the packages on their sites. I hope the site admins follow this forum.

I will be travelling on April 14 and 15, and be back on the 16th.
Previous Topic: vmplayer and Grid
Next Topic: Please run the MonALISA Toolbar
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Oct 18 08:51:27 CEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02789 seconds