GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Fairroot » General Discussion » Building a minimal FairMQ service in Docker with static executables
Building a minimal FairMQ service in Docker with static executables [message #22950] Fri, 14 September 2018 13:07 Go to next message
Michael Papenbrock is currently offline  Michael Papenbrock
continuous participant
Hello!

I'm not sure if this fits here perfectly since I'm actually referring to the standalone version of FairMQ. Anyway, I'll get to the point.

I'm currently implementing a set of samplers/processors/etc. with the standalone version of FairMQ. So far, implementation-wise that seems to be working fine. However, I would like to deploy the corresponding executables with Docker and run them each in their own container. Here, the size of the resulting image/container matters, both in terms of security and performance (at least in the context of a larger cluster). Hence, a common practice is to compile services into static executables instead of dynamically linking them, so one doesn't have to carry over the dependencies. When I tried this, I realised that both FairMQ and its dependency FairLogger currently only generated dynamic libraries and as far as I know one cannot generate a static executable from dynamic libraries (please correct me if this is wrong).

So, my question is: Is anyone aware of a way to create a FairMQ service as a static executable?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Michael
Re: Building a minimal FairMQ service in Docker with static executables [message #22954 is a reply to message #22950] Sun, 16 September 2018 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Al-Turany is currently offline  Mohammad Al-Turany
first-grade participant
Hi Michael,

We have a completely different way of running with dockers, (one topology per container and not per process if I understand your post!). Please open an issue in https://github.com/FairRootGroup/FairMQ.

best,

Mohammad
Re: Building a minimal FairMQ service in Docker with static executables [message #22956 is a reply to message #22950] Mon, 17 September 2018 12:56 Go to previous message
Michael Papenbrock is currently offline  Michael Papenbrock
continuous participant
Hi Mohammad,

I think I see what you mean. I have created a corresponding issue on github. Anyone who is interested can find it here: https://github.com/FairRootGroup/FairMQ/issues/89

Thanks!

Best,

Michael
Previous Topic: Logger.h ?
Next Topic: CMake problem compiling FAIRROOT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:12:23 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00919 seconds