GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » R3BRoot » Installation and Compilation » Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB
Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18880] Tue, 12 January 2016 13:38 Go to next message
Ralf Plag is currently offline  Ralf Plag
continuous participant
Hi All,

do we already have installation instructions for the installation with UCESB?
Also I'm wondering: is root 6 required or optional?

Cheers,
Ralf
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18881 is a reply to message #18880] Tue, 12 January 2016 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmytro Kresan is currently offline  Dmytro Kresan
first-grade participant
Hi Ralf,

No, we do not yet have them. Only installation instructions of UCESB itself (in the documentation). Bastii, could you please write a "book" page on the r3broot website, in the Installation menu?

The plan was to have ROOT 6 optional only in FairSoft version "nov15", and (probably) next one - to allow a smooth transition. At some point there will be no ROOT 5 in FairSoft. It means for the new things we started to write it is better to use ROOT 6.

Cheers,
Dima
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18884 is a reply to message #18881] Fri, 15 January 2016 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bastian Löher is currently offline  Bastian Löher
occasional visitor
Hi,

I can certainly write some documentation covering the following:
- Installation of ucesb & experiment specific unpacker
- Environment configuration for R3BROOT installation

I also should update the documentation here:
https://github.com/R3BRootGroup/R3BRoot/blob/dev/r3bsource/README_ucesb. md

Is that what you meant?

Right now I am quite busy with a report on our finished project, so let me know how urgent this is.
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18888 is a reply to message #18884] Sun, 17 January 2016 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Bastian,

no problem, next week I will take over update of installation instructions on the website. You can cross-check afterwards whether changes are correct.

I have only one obstacle - which repository location do I provide for UCESB and experiment unpackers?

Cheers,
Dima
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18889 is a reply to message #18884] Mon, 18 January 2016 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Hi Bastii,

the README is a good starting point and explains already the installation of ucesb.
The basic installation of R3Broot is described on the website.

What is missing, in my opinion is:
- checking out the dev version of R3Broot
- using GCC4.8.4 including the magic three commands:
module use /cvmfs/it.gsi.de/modulefiles/
module load compiler/gcc/4.8.4
export CXX=g++
- making sure ucesb is found
- hacking away the Makefile error
- using root 6
- (plus the obstacles that I already forgot...)

Also I'm unsure about which OS versions and which machines at GSI can and should be used.

These are mostly R3Broot related things, so maybe Dima is the better candidate for the documentation?

Cheers,
Ralf
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18890 is a reply to message #18889] Mon, 18 January 2016 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Ralf,

I will add the items you mentioned to the website. Do you agree that it is better to update existing installation page, instead of creating extra URL?

What do you mean by "- hacking away the Makefile error"? Please post the error message here.

Cheers,
Dima
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18891 is a reply to message #18890] Mon, 18 January 2016 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Ralf,

Now I recall. If you mean your previous thread to "External packages" forum, then please test whether the same issue appears when specifying -DUSE_PATH_INFO=TRUE to the cmake options of R3BRoot. The best is to try with a fresh build directory.

Cheers,
Dima
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18892 is a reply to message #18891] Mon, 18 January 2016 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
Hi Dima,

I was referring to the error that a non-standard compiler is used.
The cmake stops but actually already suggests a fix: adding some option to the cmake command.
If this option is applied once, it remembers it the next time and then runs fine (without explicitely setting the option).

Cheers,
Ralf
Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #18893 is a reply to message #18888] Mon, 18 January 2016 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bastian Löher is currently offline  Bastian Löher
occasional visitor
Dima,

as of now no git repository for the ucesb base components exists. Therefore one will have to check out from CVS as written in the README. The git repository for the experiments (upexps) is now much more up to date than the CVS repository.

So here goes:

Ucesb base:
cvs -d :ext:land@lxgs08.gsi.de:/u/johansso/CVS co unpacker

Experiments:
git clone lx-pool.gsi.de:/u/johansso/upexps

Of course it would be nice to have this on a more public location, but this is still a work in progress.
Until then one might think of making tarballs.

Re: Installation instructions for R3BRoot with UCESB [message #19216 is a reply to message #18893] Thu, 14 April 2016 15:28 Go to previous message
MarcLabiche is currently offline  MarcLabiche
occasional visitor
Bastian

"lxgs08.gsi.de" seems no longer accessible from outside.

Instead I had to use "lx-pool.gsi.de" to access the ucesb unpacker, the unpackexps and upexps.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Labiche
STFC Daresbury Lab.
+44 (0)1925603458
Previous Topic: dev branch does not compile
Next Topic: ucesb compilation problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:12:28 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01152 seconds