GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » Fairroot » External Packages » typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script
typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15669] Tue, 05 November 2013 14:55 Go to next message
Stefan Pflueger is currently offline  Stefan Pflueger
continuous participant
Hi,

a bachelor student of mine just had problems running simulations with the apr13 ext packages and I found out that there is a typo in the installation script of geant4 not setting the symbolic link correctly (scripts/install_geant4.sh).

line 80: if [ ! -L $install_prefix/share/Geant4/data/G4SAIDDATA ]; then
line 81: ln -s $install_prefix/share/Geant4/data/${G4SAIDDATA_VAERSION} $install_prefix/share/Geant4/data/G4SAIDDATA

Best regards,

Stefan
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15673 is a reply to message #15669] Wed, 06 November 2013 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Uhlig is currently offline  Florian Uhlig
first-grade participant
Hi Stefan,

thanks for the report. I fixed it.

Ciao

Florian
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15674 is a reply to message #15673] Wed, 06 November 2013 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Just to understand, how could this affect geant4 simulations?
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15676 is a reply to message #15674] Wed, 06 November 2013 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano,

Geant4 will crash at the initialization stage because it cannot read the needed data file.

Ciao

Florian
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15677 is a reply to message #15676] Wed, 06 November 2013 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StefanoSpataro is currently offline  StefanoSpataro
first-grade participant

Strange that it always worked in my case. Maybe it crashes only on some machines.
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15680 is a reply to message #15677] Wed, 06 November 2013 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Pflueger is currently offline  Stefan Pflueger
continuous participant
Hi Stefano,

this is interesting. So if I understood you correctly you have the link not set correctly but your simulations still work fine? Afaik my bachelor student was also successfully using these packages before. Then trying to disable some cuts in the g4config it did not run anymore. Even when trying to switch back to the normal g4config!
In the sep12 ext packages these files, that the apr13 g4 is looking for, aren't even existent, hence they are not used in the simulation. Maybe in the apr13 g4 there is some kind of internal flag or something to use these files. However I do not understand why this flag would stay turned on even if you would switch back to the old g4config in which everything worked fine...

Best regards,

Stefan
Re: typo in symbolic link in apr13 ext packages geant4 install script [message #15683 is a reply to message #15677] Wed, 06 November 2013 17:45 Go to previous message
first-grade participant
Hi Stefano,

depending on the different models you need differnt data files. I think in the standard case you don't need data files from this directory but when changing the geant4 configuration you may need them.

Why in the case of Stefan using the default configuration didn't resolve the problem I don't understand.

Ciao

Florian
Previous Topic: New version of the external packages "apr 13"
Next Topic: external packages dec13 - mac os x maverick
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:01:11 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00986 seconds