GSI Forum
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung

Home » PANDA » PandaRoot » General » all code open to public?
icon5.gif  all code open to public? [message #7157] Tue, 05 August 2008 12:44 Go to next message
Anonymous Poster From: *t.pppool.de
Hi everybody,

I would like to know your opinion about the fact that all our code is open to the public. I can even quickly search for code I wirte, by googleing for coding habits of mine. Actually a friend of mine told me that one of the top 5 google hits for the search 'dreggn' (talking about bad habits) is a source file I wrote for PANDA.

I dont think this is such a great idea. I dont think we gain anything from putting the code on the open web. But as long as we think about some kind of licensing, it is probably the intellectual property of ours or our employers.

Not that I claim that any of the code we write is spectacularly exciting, but...

Cheers, Christian
Re: all code open to public? [message #7159 is a reply to message #7157] Tue, 05 August 2008 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Dear Christian,

We just started discussing the license issue for our software (initiated by the recent licensing of FairROOT). The suggestion was made to continue the discussion in Ferrara, since it is a topic of general interest.

Kind wishes,

Johan.
Re: all code open to public? [message #7160 is a reply to message #7159] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

oops, my bad for not following the discussion properly. Very good!

Christian
Re: all code open to public? [message #7161 is a reply to message #7160] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pablo Genova is currently offline  Pablo Genova
continuous participant
Hi Christian,

as Johan said the discussion is postponed.
But let me just add my personal comment...

On my personal view the code should be all free and open, since we are not a private company such as Microsoft but we are working for the scientific community (open and public).

On my view the more our code is copied/reused/criticized by everybody in the world the better it is: it means that we are working very well and giving help to other experiments.

We could follow ROOT example which is all available on the web and that is, on my view, a great merit of ROOT!

Best regards, Pablo
Re: all code open to public? [message #7162 is a reply to message #7157] Tue, 05 August 2008 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Kliemt is currently offline  Ralf Kliemt
first-grade participant

Hi all,

Some days ago I learned that one can add a configuration file to his website and guide the Google searching bot, i.e. restricting the area, esp. source code. Supposedly this is even wanted by Google...

Cheers & hoorays,
Ralf.
Re: all code open to public? [message #7164 is a reply to message #7162] Tue, 05 August 2008 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi everybody,

I am personally against unlicensed open code. We are not Microsoft, but we have (or somebody does) have intellectual property on our work. You can still decide later, that you may enable other people to use it freely (or you decide that beforehand by using GPL or so...). But people may not use it to make money or to do other closed source projects in the future.

Christian
Re: all code open to public? [message #7165 is a reply to message #7164] Tue, 05 August 2008 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johan Messchendorp is currently offline  Johan Messchendorp
first-grade participant

Hi Christian and others,

I see the point of Christian. The best way to go is to settle on a short-time scale on one of the open source licenses, e.g. GPL, lite-GPL, BSD, .... Once we have a license for the code, we can ensure the "intellectual property" of the work. The question remains how this license should look like and how strict we make things. Personally, I believe we should not a-priori believe that all people have "bad" intentions with our software. We are a small community and we do need each others experiences.

Johan.
Re: all code open to public? [message #7166 is a reply to message #7165] Tue, 05 August 2008 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
continuous participant
just a question... the fact that there is a licence does *not* imply that one has to pay to have it, right? I'm not expert of such things...

cheers, Pablo
Re: all code open to public? [message #7168 is a reply to message #7166] Tue, 05 August 2008 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, not at all. It doenst imply that. For example the GPL implies (amongst a million other things probably) that whatever you use the code for must stay open source and must also be licenced under the GPL.
It keeps people from taking the code and to use it in closed source projects, i.e. to make money.

Christian
Re: all code open to public? [message #7169 is a reply to message #7168] Tue, 05 August 2008 17:56 Go to previous message
continuous participant
thank you for the clarification.

Pablo
Previous Topic: Detector ID.
Next Topic: Open source policy and the different branches... an overview
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 21:27:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00701 seconds